Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Record songs to a DVD

I wish to record a number of my choir songs to a disc but a CD does not have enough capacity. Is it possible to record them to a DVD? If so how?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 12:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 9:49 AM

I assume that you aren't solely interested in creating a data DVD for backup of the files. If you want to be able to listen to the music files that you've burned to a DVD (like playing an audio CD), you can record audio (.MP3) files to a DVD disc. The disc created will play on a DVD player, such as one connected to a home entertainment system, but cannot be played on a CD player or CD-ROM drive. Although the Music app on your Mac can convert your music files to MP3s if necessary, creating a DVD music disc that will play on DVD players will likely require a third-party burning app. If you're content with only playing your music DVD on your Mac, you can use the Music app to burn one. These 2 articles will provide you with useful information on doing so: "Intro to burning CDs and DVDs in Music" and "Create CDs and DVDs in Music."

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2022 9:49 AM in response to brbrown

I assume that you aren't solely interested in creating a data DVD for backup of the files. If you want to be able to listen to the music files that you've burned to a DVD (like playing an audio CD), you can record audio (.MP3) files to a DVD disc. The disc created will play on a DVD player, such as one connected to a home entertainment system, but cannot be played on a CD player or CD-ROM drive. Although the Music app on your Mac can convert your music files to MP3s if necessary, creating a DVD music disc that will play on DVD players will likely require a third-party burning app. If you're content with only playing your music DVD on your Mac, you can use the Music app to burn one. These 2 articles will provide you with useful information on doing so: "Intro to burning CDs and DVDs in Music" and "Create CDs and DVDs in Music."

Nov 22, 2022 1:22 AM in response to Jeff

Hello Jeff. The songs I had were too many to record to a CD so I was trying to record them to a DVD and I had tried following both the methods you suggest without success having wasted two DVD's so I wonder if my Mac combo is damaged. I will do some tests on it and try again. Thanks for the reply. Brian.

Nov 27, 2022 11:22 AM in response to brbrown

I'm glad it worked out for you. I always used Roxio's "Toast" for burning discs in my Macs, as it provided better recognition of third-party burners and far more user options to optimize the burning process to the specific drive's hardware specs. With good media, it minimized the number of coasters created.

Record songs to a DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.