Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update to newer OS

Hi,

I have a Mac Pro "Trash bin" that has a third party OWC Aura SSD installed. The problem I now have is downloading newer versions of OS on the computer. The OWC Aura SSD is in MacOS Journaled format, which was required to even download Sierra through internet recovery because the Mac had its OS completely erased. Now im not able to download anything above Sierra, when im for example trying to download High Sierra or Mojave the HDD is greyed out with the message "you may not install to this volume because the computer is missing a firmware partition". I read that this occurs becuase the HDD is required to be in APFS-format to be able to download the OS. Ive tried to create another partition and making it to APFS-format but that is not an option since Sierra does not seem to support APFS. Time Machine backup does not work either, so now im in a complete dead end.

Anyone here with more experience with Apple OS than me who can help me find a solution?

Kind regards,

Artin

Mac Pro

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 12:51 AM

ArtinTB Said:

"'macOS cannot be installed because the third-party storage installed in your Mac is not compatible. Please contact the supplier directly for assistance.'"

-------

Thank you for the photo.

Take it to your Local AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider):

So, if no Internal Had Drives are shown, then the Internal Drive is incompatible with an Apple device. So, thake this to your local AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider), so that you can get the correct drive installed.

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the device

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2022 12:51 AM in response to ArtinTB

ArtinTB Said:

"'macOS cannot be installed because the third-party storage installed in your Mac is not compatible. Please contact the supplier directly for assistance.'"

-------

Thank you for the photo.

Take it to your Local AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider):

So, if no Internal Had Drives are shown, then the Internal Drive is incompatible with an Apple device. So, thake this to your local AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider), so that you can get the correct drive installed.

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the device

Nov 21, 2022 11:56 PM in response to ArtinTB

ArtinTB Said:

"Unable to update to newer OS: [...]Anyone here with more experience with Apple OS than me who can help me find a solution?"

-------

What device are you looking to update?

For reference...

About Updating a Mac:

Looking to upgrade to macOS Monterey?

Determining which Update(s) will Install:

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

II. Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

III. If Compatible:

Nov 22, 2022 12:21 AM in response to ArtinTB

ArtinTB Said:

"Unable to update to newer OS:":

-------

Q1. " have already went through all these steps. My Mac Pro late 2013 is compatible all the way up to Monterey OS but since it is a third party SSD storage mounted inside the computer Apple will not let me upgrade the OS.

A1. install using a USB Bootable Installer: Create a Bootable Installer for macOS - Apple Support

---

Q2. "Also when I use a external HDD partitioned as MacOS Journaled i'm not even able to download High Sierra OS to it because 'You may not install to this volume because the computer is missing a firmware partition" this is the part where I get completely stuck.'"

A2. Using Disk Utility, format the external drive with APFS. Perform the formate using Disk Utility. Then, install using a USB Bootable Installer: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Nov 22, 2022 12:14 AM in response to TheLittles

I have already went through all these steps. My Mac Pro late 2013 is compatible all the way up to Monterey OS but since it is a third party SSD storage mounted inside the computer Apple will not let me upgrade the OS. Also when I use a external HDD partitioned as MacOS Journaled i'm not even able to download High Sierra OS to it because "You may not install to this volume because the computer is missing a firmware partition" this is the part where I get completely stuck.

Nov 21, 2022 10:25 AM in response to ArtinTB

First, we need to know what year and model Mac you have because that will determine what the newest operating system can be installed. second, are you trying to install the Time Machine backups to an external disk? If so, what kind and how is it formatted? Do not use your HD for backups because when the HD fails, as all will do, everything will be lost.

Nov 21, 2022 11:47 PM in response to Ronasara

It is a Mac Pro late 2013 model, with the 3.7 GHz Quad core intel Xeon E5 processor. I attempted to use my newer Macbook Pro 16" 2019 with the intel chip to make a time machine backup but it kept failing making a backup onto the external HD, it is a LACie harddrive don't know how old but definitely not a new one. I made two different partitions on the HD one was APFS and the other was MacOS Journaled, neither worked.

Nov 22, 2022 12:43 AM in response to TheLittles

Yes so this was the first thing I did when we managed to by misstake completely erase the OS, had to reinstall a copy through internet recovery, but I get the same restriction messages when using a bootable installer, "macOS cannot be installed because the third-party storage installed in your Mac is not compatible. Please contact the supplier directly for assistance."

Unable to update to newer OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.