Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic delete in Mail?

Does Mail have an automatic delete function?

I am in Mail Version 16.0 (3731.200.110.1.12). It is taking up too much of my iCloud storage I do not need the thousands of emails that have come in over the last two years.

I have one Exchange account and four IMAP accounts linked to Mail. I do not have any POP accounts.

Is there a way to delete all the old and unwanted emails after a set time? Back in the days of small hard-drives AOL had a feature that deleted old emails automatically. I miss that function.

Mac mini, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 1:09 AM

R_55a wrote:

I am in Mail Version 16.0 (3731.200.110.1.12). It is taking up too much of my iCloud storage I do not need the thousands of emails that have come in over the last two years.

I have one Exchange account and four IMAP accounts linked to Mail. I do not have any POP accounts.

Is there a way to delete all the old and unwanted emails after a set time? Back in the days of small hard-drives AOL had a feature that deleted old emails automatically. I miss that function.

You delete in batches manually to catch up— select the beginning scroll down hold the Shift key select the bottom—everything in between is highlighted at that point... this is faster then holding the Command Key to select multiple entries.

Make changes to your Mail>Settings>Accounts>Mailbox Behavior for each account.

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2022 1:09 AM in response to R_55a

R_55a wrote:

You delete in batches manually to catch up— select the beginning scroll down hold the Shift key select the bottom—everything in between is highlighted at that point... this is faster then holding the Command Key to select multiple entries.

Make changes to your Mail>Settings>Accounts>Mailbox Behavior for each account.

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Automatic delete in Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.