Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Link Preview in Apple Mail (appeared in iOS 16.1.1)

Ugh, why has Apple done this?

Now I paste a URL into an email to report spam and the mail app executes the call to the server generating a “rich link”

I don’t want a rich link. I certainly did not want to tell the spammer I was here. 😩

How do we opt for basic paste without the unhelpful extras?

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 2:46 AM

Hopefully this will help people who come across this default feature. There are two actions:

1. Open Safari, long press any link, select option two hide link preview, top right I think, this is now the default.
  2. Open Safari, select any website address and copy to clipboard, open mail new message, paste address link into message body, return, typically a default is for a link preview, short press the link, top right arrow gives a drop-down option to default into plain text link, select and this is now the default for pasted links.
27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2023 2:46 AM in response to PSH1970

Hopefully this will help people who come across this default feature. There are two actions:

1. Open Safari, long press any link, select option two hide link preview, top right I think, this is now the default.
  2. Open Safari, select any website address and copy to clipboard, open mail new message, paste address link into message body, return, typically a default is for a link preview, short press the link, top right arrow gives a drop-down option to default into plain text link, select and this is now the default for pasted links.

Nov 27, 2022 2:43 AM in response to UTBadger

Hello UTBadger,

I find your reply only partialy helpful.

PSH1970 asked how to disable link preview (rich link) in iOS 16.1.1 Mail App.

It seems it was possible to hide or disable link previews in older iOS versions:

• Settings > General > Accessibility > 3D Touch
  • long-press a link and tap the "Hide preview" option

I don't see any of these options in iOS 16.1.1 on my iPhone 13 Mini.

Personally I find link previews dangerous and a bad practise.

So let me ask again: How to disable link preview in iOS 16.1.1 Mail App?

Thanks and regards

Mar 20, 2023 7:46 AM in response to PSH1970

Incredible ... someone in Apple creates such a nonsense "new feature" and it is not possible to even switch it off ... Together with "follow up" emails ( when suddenly your old sent email comes into your inbox), "unsend" etc.

While nobody cares about very essential features for years - like customisable swipe options etc. Every now and them search function stops working ... but yes, we will create new amazing features :(( And thousands of people waste their hopelessly trying to find out how to disable these unwanted behaviours ...

Nov 23, 2022 1:04 PM in response to PSH1970

Hey PSH1970,

We'd be happy to help out however it's not entirely clear what you're trying to do. You shouldn't need to paste a link or open a junk email in order to report it.

You'll find more help with the proper way to do so using these steps:

Report junk mail
To make sure future messages from the same sender are marked as junk, you can report messages as junk in the Mail app. 
• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, swipe left on the message, tap More, then tap Move to Junk. 
• On your Mac, select the message and click the Junk button in the Mail toolbar. Or you can drag the message to the Junk folder in the sidebar.
• On iCloud.com, select the message, then click the Flag button and choose Move to Junk. Or you can drag the message to the Junk folder in the sidebar.

This is outlined in much more detail here: Report and block spam in iCloud mail - Apple Support

We hope this helps out.

Take care!

Mar 1, 2023 3:32 AM in response to muttleydogg

Muttleydog, thanks for trying to help, but that’s not the solution unfortunately!

“Open Safari, long press any link, select option two hide link preview, top right I think”

I had never noticed that particular preview option! It’s not a solve to the issue Zi opened this thread on but it is interesting and I’ve captured a screenshot of it (attached)

I long pressed and it is the first time I’ve noticed the “preview” option there. Honestly, I don’t see the benefit of it (it saves me using “back” I guess, if the link doesn’t take me to what I want).

Whether I use the “preview” or not in that menu makes no difference to the paste of the link into an email body in the mail app though. It still pastes as a preview link.

In your number two action:

”typically a default is for a link preview, short press the link, top right arrow gives a drop-down option to default into plain text link, select and this is now the default for pasted links.”

Yes, there is an option “convert to Plain Link” (instead of the preview we never wanted) and that works but it is NOT the default for pasted links. It is the default only in THAT email. When you open a new blank email and paste the link, it shows the preview again.

We really need the default to STAY as paste links as plain text. Or have an option to behave like that always somewhere (in a clipboard settings option?)

The only solve/workaround for now seems to be to press the space bar (or other character) then paste, then go back and remove the character/space you put in before pasting. If you don’t do this, the preview is generated, and that means the link is visited, which is exactly what you do not want to do if you are pasting a URL into an email to report a link as that of a spammer/fraudster/phishing criminal.

Nov 27, 2022 3:53 AM in response to UTBadger

UTBadger,

For example, I receive a spam email that has a link to a fake Norton or Amazon invoice with a phone number to call such as 1-888-123-1234.

Many of us will know not to call the phone number. It is likely going to connect us to a call center in Sector 5, Kolcata in India. The agent who answers our call will likely claim to be in the US employed by the scam invoice company, and execute their refund scam script.

Or I receive an email which is advertising some well known brand like Louis Vuitton eyewear at very cheap prices.

You are correct that there is an easy way to report spam emails, but I go a bit further than most people do. I look up the carrier of the US telephone number and report the scammer to the carrier. I look up the host of the website URL and report the scam website. I maybe also report the domain to the registrar if it was created that day or in the last couple of days. If there are images in the email that are pulled from other sources, I report the abuse to the hosting provider (even though I set my email client to not load the images). If it looks like a counterfeit Louis Vuitton site, I let the trademark name owner know do they can work to shut down the site. I also find I’m on a list of targeted people that are sent spams which ignore opt out requests and the URLs in these spam emails are often to “redirect sites” when the senders are affiliate marketeers and they operate these redirect sites as a step in getting measurement of traffic they generate to the ultimate target websites they are promoting so I report the initial site, and I visit the redirect site (minus some parameters) and grab the site they are redirecting to next, and report that.

Many of the links will include parameters that identify the “visit” for the fraudster spammer, but that only happens if they are “visited” so I don’t click the links but I do report in full as I describe above.

I don’t want link previews to be a default option. I just want plain text pasting for reasons I trust are now very obvious :)

Come on Apple! Give back what you took away please.

Jan 9, 2023 9:56 AM in response to catphoto88

Totally agree. Only have to forget momentarily, and paste into the email body, and it’s too late. The URL has a visit. Thanks Apple. Not clever at all. Now what WOULD be good is the option to default to not visit every URL pasted into an email, and maybe even an option to automatically default to safe paste where the URL is broken purposefully (add a space character after https:// and and a space before the last “dot” for the domain name/extension “domain .com”) - that actually brings some benefits for those who report scam, fraud, abuse and spam more fully than simply marking an email as junk/spam.

I’m very surprised Apple launched this without a thought. Really not cool.

Jan 25, 2023 12:48 PM in response to SlartibartWu

I don't have the 3D Touch > Hide Preview option either. How do we turn off link preview when composing an email in iOS 16?? I have "Haptic Touch" but there is no option there. I have "Touch Accommodations" but that is turned off. There seems to be no way to turn off link preview in settings in iOS 16 that I can see. Please confirm how we can turn it off. It's annoying as ****.

Feb 14, 2023 12:32 PM in response to CharlesJR

Unfortunately “Concert to plain link” is not a solution at all.

The link has already been “visited” by the device after it was pasted.

The problem is not that I don’t know how to turn it into a plain link. The problem is that it is visited when that’s the absolute opposite of what I want to happen. It’s also the unexpected behavior of the UI. Offer to convert it to a link that is visited and pulls a preview, but don’t automatically do that with no option to prevent it happening…

Disable Link Preview in Apple Mail (appeared in iOS 16.1.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.