Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Arrival 2016 on Apple TV 4k only playing in stereo.

I just recently purchased Arrival 2016 off of the iTunes store and am now attempting to play it off of my Apple TV 4K.

To my surprise and frustration it only appears to play in stereo, whereas it clearly states on the iTunes purchase page that it is encoded for 5.1 surround sound.

I have made multiple attempts to diagnose my system however it appears that it only follows this movie in question. I explored playback with all my other movies and they do not experience this bug.

Its there a fix to this situation or is this unfortunately just the state of this movie with no fix?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 11:13 PM

The audio channels does depend on the chosen language track, and also on your country or region.

E.g. US iTunes Store: Dolby 5.1 for English, but stereo for French and Spanish.

It may be different in other countries.

Similar questions

2 replies

Nov 23, 2022 9:21 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I am located in Canada and the tracks I have available is French, US English and Us English AD. I switched tracks around and my findings are:

french - full surround sound track

US English and US English AD - stereo only

This partially answers my issue as it confirms there is a difference between language tracks, however there shouldn’t be.

The last thing I can assess is to see if others are having similar findings or not and more expensively begin to change components in and out.

Otherwise thank you for your response! And hopefully this thread continues….

Arrival 2016 on Apple TV 4k only playing in stereo.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.