Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 Mac Data volumes

Having had problems with my MacBook Pro I reinstalled Big Sur and now everything is fine. However, I can't now backup with Time Machine and Disk Utility is showing two Macintosh Data volumes.

One is: Used 504.58 GB - Other Volumes 23.67GB - Free 472.09

The other: Used 3.1 GB - Other Volumes 525.15 - Free 472.09

Could anybody advise on how to proceed with this. Is it something that I can fix or should I go to the Genius Bar. Bearing in mind I'm 70 and not as clever as I used to be!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 10:39 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Nov 22, 2022 2:45 AM in response to Mike Newham

Good question

The information below should work and here is the link for reference Mount a volume that’s been ejected using Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

If you eject a volume, you can use Disk Utility to mount the volume so that it’s available in the Finder.

1. In the Disk Utility app  on your Mac, select the volume you want to mount.
  2. Click the Mount button .

Nov 22, 2022 2:30 AM in response to Mike Newham

Great work and I see the issue

1 - Suggestion is to Mount the Volume marked in below image and copy any Important Personal Data OFF that volume to say an External Drive.

2 - Once done, that same volume in below image and be Removed

3 - Just Right Click the volume with the " Volumes/Macintosh HD - Data " in the image and as Sub Menu should appear >> Delete

4 - The Data in step 1 above can be moved be moved back to your Regular Data Volume if required

Nov 22, 2022 1:59 AM in response to Mike Newham

We are of similar age and am confident with a little hand holding ( if I may ) say we can get this fixed.

In the Disk Utilities >> View >> View All Devices as per image below.

If you can use the Keyboard triple keyboard combo Shift Command 5, it will offer to make a Screen Shot of what is presented in Disk Utilities

Once we have that info, we can move forwards

Nov 22, 2022 4:32 AM in response to Mike Newham

When the User ( you ) choose the Reinstall Big Sur, the user may have inadvertently created a New User Account.

This would have left the then existing User Account still on and in the " Volumes/Macintosh HD - Data " as denoted by the Mount Point in bold above and within the " and "

This does occur from time to time but is fixable by the actions suggested.

2 Mac Data volumes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.