Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Monterey Update Stuck

I tried to update to Monterey (I forget which version) two nights ago, and has been “updating” since. The update is stuck - black screen with apple logo and progress bar about 1/3 of the way across. Every few seconds the screen goes black, then the apple logo and progress bar reappear until the progress bar is about 1/3 of the way complete again, and then the screen goes black and the cycle repeats. I can power off my Mac, but when I power back on, it resumes the same cycle. Not sure how to stop the update, and get back to being able to use my Mac again - please advise!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 2:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 4:11 AM

Disconnect ALL or any External Drives

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drives from loading 

3 - This may or may not allow the update to complete

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2022 4:11 AM in response to jep1717_

Disconnect ALL or any External Drives

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drives from loading 

3 - This may or may not allow the update to complete

Mac OS Monterey Update Stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.