Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem With changing the size and not seeing the refresh rate for my DELL P2423DE while the monitor is connected to my MacBook Air M2

So before this, I was using a windows ASUS laptop and I was able to find the refresh rate and at the same time the size

By size, I don't mean the resolution

For example, you can see while I am browsing Youtube, the video sits in the center like it's mirroring my laptop, you see how the sides are not used. And when I am browsing google you can also see how everything is on the left side and not proportional

That Is what I mean by size

Before, when I was using the Asus laptop, I was able to go into the settings and change the "size" from 100% to 125% or 150%. On my Mac, I don't see that option, and I also don't see the refresh rate setting

And The DELL monitor is set as "EXTENDED display" and not Main, or mirror of my MacBook screen.

Help ?

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 9:34 AM

There is no "scale to 125%" or similar on the mac.

You can set the menu bar from "normal" to "large", and in many applications you can settings like the font sizes, but not, IIUC, scale the general user interface.

I am not exactly sure what you wish to achieve, though. I did see that option in windows, but it mostly messed things up...

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2022 9:34 AM in response to Verax69

There is no "scale to 125%" or similar on the mac.

You can set the menu bar from "normal" to "large", and in many applications you can settings like the font sizes, but not, IIUC, scale the general user interface.

I am not exactly sure what you wish to achieve, though. I did see that option in windows, but it mostly messed things up...

Nov 24, 2022 8:10 AM in response to Verax69

Hello Verax69,

The ability to adjust refresh rate for your external display is going to vary based on the type of display you have connected to your Mac. Change Displays settings on Mac provides this information along available display settings on macOS, which doesn't include "size."

"Adjust how frequently your screen is redrawn. If the rate is too low, your screen may appear to flicker. If the rate is too high, the screen may be black because it doesn’t support that rate. Check the documentation that came with your display for the best rate. If you have a supported display, you can set your display to dynamically adjust its refresh rate, using Adaptive Sync.

This option only appears if an external display that supports changing the refresh rate is connected to your Mac."

If you'd like to provide feedback on the availability to adjust the size in display settings, we'd recommend sharing your thoughts directly with Apple here: Product Feedback

Cheers!

Nov 24, 2022 8:55 AM in response to racheals14

The refresh rate is not a problem, 60 HZ is enough

The actual problem that stops me from working is the inability to change the size and placement on the external monitor. (I contacted apple regarding this but they advised to contact the monitor manufacturer)

On Windows, there is the "SCALE AND LAYOUT" option where you can change the size of text, apps and other items without compromising the resolution, and quality of the image

On MACOS there is no such thing so when using a monitor everything is out of order

On Mac, the only way I found to make the text bigger is to zoom in from chrome which makes all the lines and numbers unclear and makes them pixelated at the edges

Are there any monitor brands or models that have full integration with MacOS\ Macbook and get rid of the scale and layout problems? (outside of the Apple Displays)

Thank You

Nov 24, 2022 1:13 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank You for the reply

I want the whole external monitor space to be used, the only way I made that possible (on Mac) was by changing the resolution of the external monitor to FHD 1920X1080, but by doing so the image quality becomes poor on the software I use (CBOE, Trader Work Station, Ninja Trader and Tradovate) and I lose the clarity of the numbers, charts, and lines which fatigues my work because I have to watch the screen for about 6\7 Hours

So I want the whole screen to be used but at its intended resolution of 2560 x 1440

Thank You

Nov 24, 2022 11:34 PM in response to Verax69

So the mac does not offer you 2560 x 1440 as one of the options?

That seems to be different from what you were asking before, or maybe I misunderstood.

There have been several reports of Ventura not always showing all the options for resolution that the monitors support. While waiting for a possible fix, a simple workaround is provided by the free tool "BetterDisplay".

Nov 25, 2022 9:42 AM in response to Verax69

So, you had the display resolution all along, but you just find that the interface elements - mainly text, I suppose - are too small at that resolution.

I have trouble reconciling that with the screenshots you posted... what is small in them? The text in the browser? That is easily changed - Command-plus; and you can change the browser preferences as well.

The window from System Preferences does not look small at all...

I would suggest sticking with the full display resolution, changing the menu bar from "Default" to "Large" in Accessibility->Display - that should at least minimize the problem for the text in the menu bar; for other occurrences of text, you can by and large (no pun intended) change sizes - in browsers, mail or text editing, for example.

Problem With changing the size and not seeing the refresh rate for my DELL P2423DE while the monitor is connected to my MacBook Air M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.