Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With iCloud Backup ALREADY off, how can I get rid of the "Get Ready For Your New iPhone" message in Settings on iPhone 14?

I just bought a new iPhone for my wife, and I copied a text Apple sent to her old phone to MY new iPhone, clicked on the link Apple provided, and it put THIS big message right under my name in Settings: "Get Ready For Your New iPhone" (see screenshot below), and I can't get rid of it! There is a long and ridiculous workaround available on this forum and on Reddit that asks us to turn off iCloud backup, but my iCloud Backup is ALREADY OFF, so what can I do to get rid of this bothersome message?! Will it be there forever?!

IMPORTANT NOTE: I'm afraid to turn iCloud Backup on EVEN for a second because it is so incredibly invasive and presumptuous in how it alters your whole system! Please help!!

Thank you.

iPhone 14

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 3:43 PM

Restarting didn't work. So I backed up to the Cloud via that horrible message's interface, and I was honestly terrified. So easy it would be to lose my precious Contact, Notes, and Calendar data!

I did more research and finally learned that I could turn off 2-factor authorization, but the illogically written instructions in my confirmation email (telling me that I'd turned it on), I had no choice but to say somebody had used an unfamiliar number to back up my phone! And I was forced to change my password! I finished my Cloud backup, and went through the workaround provided by a very clear YouTube video to turn it off and delete it. I feel like I'm lost in a forest of brilliant programming tricks that nobody ever needed. It is SO easy to synch an iPhone to a computer.

[Edited by Moderator]

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2022 3:43 PM in response to Henderson_86

Restarting didn't work. So I backed up to the Cloud via that horrible message's interface, and I was honestly terrified. So easy it would be to lose my precious Contact, Notes, and Calendar data!

I did more research and finally learned that I could turn off 2-factor authorization, but the illogically written instructions in my confirmation email (telling me that I'd turned it on), I had no choice but to say somebody had used an unfamiliar number to back up my phone! And I was forced to change my password! I finished my Cloud backup, and went through the workaround provided by a very clear YouTube video to turn it off and delete it. I feel like I'm lost in a forest of brilliant programming tricks that nobody ever needed. It is SO easy to synch an iPhone to a computer.

[Edited by Moderator]

Nov 24, 2022 10:05 PM in response to jeffsyrop

Over 600 people have clicked on "I have the same problem" in forums dealing with this bothersome persisting message in Settings. I would suggest a "Cancel" or "Use another form of backup" button for people like me, who have no need to back up their phone to the Cloud.

In order to rid the phone of that message, the user must back up their whole phone to iCloud, but to do so, the user is required to set up 2-factor authorization. So I set it up. But then I learned that I could never turn 2-factor authorization off! 

I did more research and finally learned that I could turn off 2-factor authorization, but the illogically written instructions in my confirmation email (confirming that I'd turned 2-factor authorization on) gave me no choice but to basically agree that somebody had used an unfamiliar number to back up my phone! That was the only choice I had when clicking the link in the email to undo 2-factor authorization. And I was forced to change my Apple ID password! In addition, if I had waited more than 2 weeks to undo 2-factor authorization, I would have NEVER been allowed to turn it off.

I finished my Cloud backup, and went through the workaround provided by a very clear YouTube video to turn iCloud backup off and delete the backup.

What a relief. The bothersome message disappeared from Settings and my phone was in good working order with no data lost.

It will be awesome when Apple starts logic-checking choices in dialog boxes more thoroughly. The experts in the Apple Store can navigate these choices because they have memorized them, but many of them make no sense, in terms of the logic of language, even to high-tech people such as myself, if it the first time we're reading them. I hope the problem of this persistent unwanted message in Settings, which has been troubling users for a while now, will disappear in the next iPhone update.

[Edited by Moderator]

Nov 24, 2022 11:11 AM in response to jeffsyrop

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, jeffsyrop,

If we understand your post correctly, you're seeing a message in Settings on your iPhone to back up to iCloud in preparation for your new iPhone. You'd like to just clear the message since your wife got a new iPhone and you are keeping yours. We’d like to help.

Have you tried restarting your iPhone since this message appeared? Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't clear the message try creating a backup. We understand you'd rather not turn on iCloud backup. You can back up your iPhone to your computer if you prefer: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Nov 24, 2022 2:49 PM in response to amandal80

Restarting didn't work. So I'm doing the back up to Cloud now, through that horrible message's interface, and I am honestly terrified.

I'm a Mac "power user" and have a master degree in English, and yet I don't understand the wording of choices related to the Cloud or what they will do to my system. Apple does so many things magically right and so many other things insanely wrong.

Using this "convenient" feature for setting up new phones required me to set up 2-factor authorization, and I stupidly did it, but then learned that I can never turn off! Why has Apple gotten so incredibly complicated? I've managed a network of Macs for 14 years, and I was so happy to get away from the complexity of Windows, but now Apple has gotten worse than Microsoft!

Please help! What should I do next? I finished my Cloud backup, restarted my computer, and nothing happened: the message is still there, bigger than life. See attached screenshot. I'm in a forest of brilliant programming tricks that nobody ever needed. It is SO easy to synch an iPhone to a computer. What do the 2 choices here even mean?

Nov 24, 2022 3:03 PM in response to jeffsyrop

Hi jeffsyrop,

The first option there indicates using iCloud for Apps which would sync through connected devices to iCloud, and the second for backing up your Apps to iCloud. Without reaching a solution with the restart and with this remaining, you will want to contact Apple Support so this can be further investigated.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

With iCloud Backup ALREADY off, how can I get rid of the "Get Ready For Your New iPhone" message in Settings on iPhone 14?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.