Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desqueeze anamorphic footage in imovie 10.3?

Does anyone know if it is possible to desqueeze anamorphic footage in imovie 10.3 on a mac? I have searched and all the instructions point to a gear icon that is there on ios but not on a mac.

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 12:18 PM

As I understand it, you have some distorted anamorphic footage that has been squeezed due to aspect ratio being changed. Correct?

If so, there is no iMovie feature that would desqueeze your footage. iMovie's 16:9 aspect ratio screen cannot be changed.

You would need to adjust the aspect ratio with an external app. The free download VLC does have some capability of adjusting the aspect ratio.

-- Rich

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2022 12:18 PM in response to GNH999

As I understand it, you have some distorted anamorphic footage that has been squeezed due to aspect ratio being changed. Correct?

If so, there is no iMovie feature that would desqueeze your footage. iMovie's 16:9 aspect ratio screen cannot be changed.

You would need to adjust the aspect ratio with an external app. The free download VLC does have some capability of adjusting the aspect ratio.

-- Rich

Nov 25, 2022 3:06 PM in response to Rich839

I just noticed that with VLC one can change the aspect ratio, and play back the changed aspect ratio in VLC, but I wasn't able to find a way to export the video to the desktop with the change carrying over.

However, I could play the video in VLC with the aspect ratio changed and take a screen recording (Command-Shift-5 and drag select) as the video played. That gave me a desktop file that, when played in QuickTimePlayer, reflected the aspect ratio change.

-- Rich

Desqueeze anamorphic footage in imovie 10.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.