Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16" macbook pro screen problems

2019 Intel 16" macbook pro has a problem with my screen getting a strange purple tint, blown-out highlights, slight flickering, and display lag--plus some strange shadowing of other windows-- when the screen is opened 70 degrees or more in relation to the keyboard. If I open it less than that (so I have to angle it to really see what I'm doing), the screen shows normal colors/highlights. By angling it back and forth, it's obvious to see the angle point at which it changes from normal to wrong colors and behavior every time. This happens every time--restarting it, resetting the PRAM, or safe mode have no effect. Will I need a whole new display, or is there possibly some kind of flex cable gone bad? Replacing the display is pretty pricey. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 8:08 AM

Stephentheman2132 wrote:

2019 Intel 16" macbook pro has a problem with my screen getting a strange purple tint, blown-out highlights, slight flickering, and display lag--plus some strange shadowing of other windows-- when the screen is opened 70 degrees or more in relation to the keyboard. If I open it less than that (so I have to angle it to really see what I'm doing), the screen shows normal colors/highlights. By angling it back and forth, it's obvious to see the angle point at which it changes from normal to wrong colors and behavior every time. This happens every time--restarting it, resetting the PRAM, or safe mode have no effect. Will I need a whole new display, or is there possibly some kind of flex cable gone bad? Replacing the display is pretty pricey. Thanks!

Sounds like a hardware issue— best dealt with over the counter.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Repair & Service - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2022 8:08 AM in response to Stephentheman2132

Stephentheman2132 wrote:

Sounds like a hardware issue— best dealt with over the counter.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Repair & Service - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Dec 6, 2022 5:16 AM in response to leroydouglas

As it turns out, I needed a new display. Kind of a bummer, as this seems to be a fairly common issue for at least the 16" MBP's. Luckily I sourced a new OEM one on Ebay for around $550 and installed it myself--way better than the $950 my local apple repair store wanted. I can only hope that this issue has be addressed with the newer machines.

16" macbook pro screen problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.