Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot send audio messages at this time

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 9:20 AM

It would be nice if every-time Apple updated our phones that it didn’t take out simple functions that have worked fine until they decide to update it with no instructions what your doing to the phones & what could go wrong with how to fix it, you all are just taking control & we blindly let you & then it’s hours if we’re lucky & not days to figure out how to fix what Apple has messed up.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2023 9:20 AM in response to Lee_ms

It would be nice if every-time Apple updated our phones that it didn’t take out simple functions that have worked fine until they decide to update it with no instructions what your doing to the phones & what could go wrong with how to fix it, you all are just taking control & we blindly let you & then it’s hours if we’re lucky & not days to figure out how to fix what Apple has messed up.

Feb 3, 2023 4:08 AM in response to Bbybobo

Basically since the update you are right, I have the same issue. After following instructions from a blog (turning off and on the iMessage, wi-fi, etc.) and rebooting my iPhone Xr on macOS 16.3, I regained the ability to send audio messages to other iPhone users, but not those on Androids. I'll have to check with Apple Support (but I'm tired since I've done so over three times since the last update).

Nov 26, 2022 9:33 AM in response to Patsymouse

Greetings Patsymouse, 

It would be helpful if you could let us know what happens when you attempt to send an audio message. If there are any error messages, having that verbiage can tell us a lot as well. 

In the mean time, here are some basic steps to begin isolating and troubleshooting with - 

• Make sure your iPhone is up to date with iOS 16.1.1. You can check in Settings > General > Software Update. 
  • Restart your device, if you haven’t since noticing the issue. Restart your iPhone

Also, since sending a recorded audio message changed a bit with iOS 16, here are the steps from the iOS 16 User Guide - Send and receive messages on iPhone 

Send a recorded audio message
Instead of writing a text message, you can quickly record an audio message that can be played right in the Messages conversation.
Audio recording is an iMessage app. In a Messages conversation, tap the Apps button to show the app icons below the text field, tap the Audio Recording button, then do one of the following:
To record and review before sending: Tap the Record button to record, then tap it again to stop recording. Tap the Play button to review, then tap the Send button to send the recording or the Cancel button to cancel.
To record a message and send it immediately: Hold the Record button.
Note: Your audio message disappears from your conversation two minutes after you send it, unless you tap Keep. Recipients can still play your recording. To always keep audio messages, go to Settings  > Messages > Expire (below Audio Messages), then tap Never.

Thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.