You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone freezing and restarting after iOS 16.1.1 Update

After updating to IOS 16.1.1 my iPhone 12 pro is freezing and keeps restarting automatically every 10 or 15 minutes. It’s so annoying! 🤬 How can i fix it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 9:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 9:31 AM

So good news. I was able to get my phone to stop freezing and restarting. I just had to completely factory reset my phone. I wasn’t able to backup most of my stuff because my phone did keep restarting. This may be a resolution for others dealing with this issue. P.S, I’m never updating another iPhone unless it’s the newest one. Older iPhones tend to have these issues with updates because Apple purposely does it to force us to get newer phones. Anyway, hopefully this helps.

49 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 15, 2022 9:31 AM in response to yingda161

So good news. I was able to get my phone to stop freezing and restarting. I just had to completely factory reset my phone. I wasn’t able to backup most of my stuff because my phone did keep restarting. This may be a resolution for others dealing with this issue. P.S, I’m never updating another iPhone unless it’s the newest one. Older iPhones tend to have these issues with updates because Apple purposely does it to force us to get newer phones. Anyway, hopefully this helps.

Nov 30, 2022 7:26 PM in response to Katana-San

Update: Good news and bad news.

Bad news : the trip to the apple store was pretty much useless. The Geniuses at the apple store could only offer obvious solution which was that I needed to restore my phone to fix the problem. They couldn't even help me with main problem that I had which was that I needed way to back up my iphone because my iphone kept freezing and restarting every 10 min.

Good news: I took long route and pretty much spent 3 hours to transfer rest of my photos to my windows pc (other half was backed on icloud in span of 3 days when i started having this problem). Then I deleted the photos from my phone and was able to back up my messages notes and other basic apps via backup to my mac in less then 10 mins. Then I did backup restore and it seems to have fixed my problem and my phone isn't freezing and restarting every 10 min.

Long story short: its a software issue. so you will need to restore your phone to fix this problem and in the future back up your phone on icloud or your computer

Let me know if this solution worked for you. I am just afraid it will happen again in the future

Nov 29, 2022 9:26 AM in response to yingda161

Hello again ~ In that case try the restart exactly as shown in this prior post by *Axel Foley*…

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

If this doesn’t help have your iPhone checked by Apple…

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options

~Katana-San~

Nov 30, 2022 4:25 PM in response to Katana-San

Hello, I am having the same problem with my iPhone 11. It keeps restating itself after like 15-20 mins usage. This only happened when I downloaded the 16.1.1. At first I noticed the battery draining so quickly and now it keeps restarting. I went to Genius Bar to get it checked. They told me it’s stability problem and to solve it I needed to get my whole phone replaced. Since my phone is out of warranty, it will cost me round £360 to get my iPhone 11 256 gb replaced. I felt like this was not fair, has it only started having problems after I downloaded the update. Surely they could help

Dec 4, 2022 1:26 AM in response to Snehil5

Hi Snehil,

Apple support has been disappointing and a total waste of time.

Your post gave some hope :). Can you please guide on how did you transfer the data to your pc? I am asking because I have been trying to update the phone and also trying to backup data to my PC via ITunes but no luck so far.

Can you tell me the route that you have used.??

Thanks.

Sameer

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Dec 15, 2022 3:51 AM in response to uransolongo

I’m so relieved to know this isn’t just happening to me. Literally a few days after updating to 16.1 my phone started freezing and restarting every 10-15 minutes. It’s completely due to Apple wanting us to have the most recent phone. I stopped updating my phone for this exact reason but the newest update looked so promising. Hopefully I can resolve this without having to completely replace my phone.

Dec 15, 2022 4:46 PM in response to Kaydiggs

No, just no. Apple isn’t doing it on purpose.

It’s just a software bug and it happens sometimes. Considering a restore to factory using a computer worked that according to you and OP, it shows there was an error in the software installed specifically on that device . This is because a restore to factory wipes the prior install and places a brand new install of the iOS into that single device.

While it can be infuriating things like this happens with any software, not just Apple, it’s not planned obsolescence, it’s not a conspiracy to get you to but a new device.

Dec 17, 2022 9:47 AM in response to shoeluvr13

The same is happening to my phone 12pro. But, happens when watching videos mostly. Thinking further, it may be processing load/software related due to the update. It was working relatively fine before-in relation to now that is. While I agree, I fresh update is needed and even best sometimes. Apple is less than supportive. The Techs at Apple can’t really be blamed-but we want to because it’s so easy and tangible. I won’t go in unless there is no other choice. I just try not to set myself up like that. iTunes is so so bad. It is on terrible and getting a lot lot worse. It basically consumes your time for just about ANYTHING you want to accomplish. A LOT of time!!!!. I have a massive amount to back up. It will probably consume the better part of a day. And then I have to reload reset everything! Wait for mail to download on all accounts. Urghhhh…I am freaking frustrated, depressed and defeated just thinking about itI am sure that this is not the only complaint and I wish that Apple would do more to get out in front….at least with a communication. I am not even done paying for this phone yet.

Dec 20, 2022 2:42 AM in response to uransolongo

Hello,

I had the same problem. I don't know why but iOS16.1.1 made my iPhone crazy and kept crashing and restarting every 10 minutes. here is how I fixed it.

1- For those who are able to have a backup from their data(for me it was not possible. every time I tried to take a backup, my phone crashed after 2min), take a backup on your laptop or iCloud( I was lucky, I had a backup of my images on iCloud) and then restore and update your phone.

2- Connect your phone to your laptop and from the iTunes app click on restore and update.

3- It will ask for a backup but select don't back up and continue the update.

4- After updating your phone to iOS16.2 the problem will be fixed.

5- Now you can restore your data.

iPhone freezing and restarting after iOS 16.1.1 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.