Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone hacked?

This is my first time here. I’m trying to figure out what to call the condition my iPhone XR and myself are suffering under. I DARE NOT suggest, let alone utter the dreaded word “Hack” but for all intents and purposes that is the word that seems most fitting here. When one’s own phone is blatantly under someone else’s control… *** is one supposed to call it? Infiltrated? Compromised? Worthless? If nothing else my phone is definitely compromised.

It is under someone else’s control…. Verified, Qualified, Documented…. No help to be found ANYWHERE… All I personally get is denied, dismissed and funny looks for good measure.

Ive read a great many threads here on this topic and the majority of them describe my issue to a T…. The problem is that those threads often have a “me too” bubble with over 800 hands raised as having the same issue..

THIS question asked a year ago describes the situation perfectly:

iPhone888abc

Author

User level:

Level 1

30 points

My iPhone has been hacked 

To make a long story short, my iPhone has been updated to the latest version, but it has been hacked. Now show the following symptoms: 1 since the phone was hacked, the phone signal and wireless signal are very weak, compared with the previous full signal to now only one bar.2 my iPhone can be monitored and spying I have checked the relevant information through the google,The related symptoms match those found by Google. 3 The password of any account logged in through my iphone has been changed. 4 whether I change a new simcard or restore the original factory settings. still can’t stop hackers keeps hacking my phone. 5 The most important thing is that everything I said is true. I don't need to lie to everyone , Because Cheating doesn't get any benefit.and I'm not bored enough to joke with everyone , because it's not funny. I hope to get your support. If you can tell me how to get back to normal and get rid of hackers, I will always be grateful to you. Thank you “”””

AS ALWAYS…The responses to these questions or statements are absurd, dismissing, condescending, unhelpful and many are downright rude.

It seems no one is willing to offer a solution to these very real problem descriptions. The feeling of deception is very heavy each time I read thru these threads… this issue is REAL and it’s extremely disturbing… making things worse is when people just say nope nope not possible and just walk away…

Cant anyone just be honest and fess up to what’s happening here? If you don’t want to use the word “Hacked” then give it a name that makes you feel safe…

Stop getting hung up on semantics…. Maybe it’s not hacked… What other way can an iPhone at the latest IOS be fully and totally controlled by someone else?

Fingers crossed for a real solution or answer but not holding my breath.

Thank you in advance for reading this novel…. Peace!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XR

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 4:24 PM

Here's the problem: you describe none of the symptoms that give you cause to suspect your device is hacked. How do you expect anyone to help you? It helps if you describe the symptoms and keep the editorialising to a minimum.

Similar questions

10 replies

Nov 24, 2022 4:40 PM in response to Blackbird11xx

If you have a “Verified, Qualified, Documented” security breach (“hack”), that’s typically a civil or legal matter foremost—and a technical matter secondarily—and you will want to contact legal counsel, or the police, or both. Based on your own writings here, you have clearly researched and acquired all necessary details to initiate this, and any further digital forensics are best discussed directly with counsel.

Nov 29, 2022 7:03 PM in response to Yer_Man

I apologies… I was wrapped up in my own rant and indeed did not outline the things I have been seeing on my iPhone XR

Im sure I will forget items but here goes:

Any and all emails I create get hijacked (passwords changed and I’m locked out of the account)

I’ve entered the Engineering code of #*3001#12345….. and the output suggested my phone was NOT attaching to a cell tower…but a local LTE antenna

subscriber # of 0 (and a host of other worrisome info, which I took photos of using an old digital camera).

My iPhone setting will change constantly.

Do not Disturb will enable itself

Focus will enable itself

Any and all Apple ID’s are taken over (passwords changed and I’m locked out)

Mobile data will turn off by itself

Notification settings change by themselves

Facial Recognition will turn itself off

Basically it’s like a Tug of War with almost every setting… whatever I do it’s gets undone

Location, Location, Location …My phones location seems a high priority to someone… As my phone enables any and all methods to locate my device in every app that has a location component inside of it… if I turn it of….it turns itself back on.

My phone makes Wi-Fi calls on its own (Despite Wi-Fi and Bluetooth being disabled) and usually in the wee hours of the night

My Screen Time restriction settings constantly change on their own.

Podcasts app turns on “Use Cellular Data” by itself after turning it off (for the 500th time).

Translate app…. Does the same thing

I get messages from people in my contacts that ARE NOT the people they are supposed to be (close friends etc)

Ive received a text message stating that my Apple ID has been hacked

Some Phone calls drop, have cracking and or noise in the background AND (I firmly believe) that some calls have actually been routed to people who were not the intended party…. A major reason I say this is due to the fact that I know for CERTAIN that I had a conversation with someone who was NOT my best friend, yet they sounded like him…inflections and all…an auditory ruse that would have fooled his mother…

I received a text from who I thought was my best bud…it simply said “call me” and he/we don’t send msgs like that very often…so I called his #…. But I did not speak to my buddy, it was someone posing as my bud. THIS WAS CONFIRMED in person with him the next day because the feel and subjects of the call felt so wrong in my mind… so I verified with him the next day that he did NOT speak to me at the time and day in question

I sure I could go on with more examples of why I feel like my phone is infiltrated but I wrote a novel already…. I apologise for the incorrect use age of the word “hacked” but it’s the only word that comes to mind

Maybe its a different method of controlling my phone that is in play here?

Someone definitely has my phone number, my MAC address, all my contacts, my Apple ID AND any and all emails I’ve tried to create

So, please…someone…ANYONE…. Please tell me what’s happening here

Thank you in advance

Nov 30, 2022 5:55 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thank you for the response Mr Hoffman…. I have contacted the authorities and provided them with ample evidence and as accurate a back story / timeline in order to help them get the bigger picture.

Things are in motion, but I just wanted to hear other people’s opinions of what they believe is happening. The issues are disturbing and span a large range of areas to be concerned about, it also makes me wonder just what kind of access is needed to do all of these things on someone else’s phone.

Hopefully I don’t come across or sound like the Crack Pot… I have come to the realization that pretty much everyone believes that Im headed for the Loony Bin whenever I try to explain the issues I am having. All too often I hear “that’s not possible” or “You’re Paranoid“, or “You’re losing it dude, you aren’t that important”….etc etc etc. I’m the first to agree with the last one… I’m not important enough for all this attention, I’m not a high value target, I had a tiny digital footprint prior to all of this… now I have nearly nothing. This is my only functional email address currently and it was created a few days ago… as soon as I posted this question the password to this Apple ID was changed so I was locked out of responding

At this point I’m only online to record and prove what is happening….

I expected issues this morning so I checked my phone and of course….

Find my was turned Off

Various notifications were turned off (handy clues actually)

icloud backup settings were altered

….All sorts of things, that I fully expected Honestly I was shocked my password wasn’t changed to lock me out of this discussion.

I have a few ideas, but Id still like to hear people’s opinions on how all of this is happening instead of… “Not possible” or “I’m crazy” Or the WORST one… “Have you tried rebooting your phone?”

Please, please don’t tell me to try and reboot or reset / erase my phone…. Lol

Hope to hear from more people and thank you again Mr. Hoff

Nov 30, 2022 8:49 AM in response to Blackbird11xx

My opinion is that you’re wasting your time posting here.

Either you have a civil or criminal case per what you have posted, or you don’t.

My opinion is that you are either being hacked—and that likely not in the ways you claim here, if your security has been compromised—or that there is no evidence of compromise here.

My opinion is that you need to become much better at security and forensics and at presenting your case to better make your case (or to clean up the alleged compromise), or you need to directly engage somebody that can make that case for your counsel and for police (or perform that cleanup), and they will then need direct access to your entire environment.

Nov 30, 2022 11:25 AM in response to MrHoffman

I appreciate your time and response Mr Hoffman

Id still like to hear some ideas on the methods or vectors for an infiltration like this. Could I have been better at security? Sure, though who couldn’t?

I guess I will have to work through this ridiculousness. Presenting my case isn’t an issue for me, once I have the pertinent information and granting someone access to my environment is also not an issue…. It’s barely an environment and it’s surely an uninteresting target in all regards. It just makes no sense for me to be a recipient of this level of attention…

Again I appreciate your assistance. I have to look into just how an infiltration like this is performed… a rogue network? Compromised or cloned SIM card? LTE antenna? Likely all of the above are possible… I will get to the bottom of it…thanks for letting me rant

Nov 30, 2022 12:41 PM in response to Blackbird11xx

You are the forensics analyst here. Nobody else is going to do forensics or reverse engineering an exploit or a compromise for free, and that whole effort inherently requires direct device access, and some knowledge of your particular risks. Again, you’ve told us a massive compromise exists here, so surely that’s enough to proceed.

Nov 30, 2022 1:31 PM in response to Blackbird11xx

Agreed… Personally, I feel Apple should have a high level of interest in this issue, for obvious reasons and especially in light of recent “events”. At present I’d rate the level of concern and or interest on the part of the company, somewhere between cold, tepid and or Denile and I don’t mean De River. However Hope springs eternal as they say, I’d accept any and all assistance, alas…

SO… I’m navigating what I need to navigate in regard to solving this problem, but the roadblocks I have met along the way are very disturbing indeed and on many levels for many reasons.

Anyway, I shall continue the work involved in solving this crime, will update with major developments or the solution if and when it is finally realised.

Mr. Hoffman, I very much appreciate your time and consideration, thank you.

Peace

iPhone hacked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.