Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Chrome add itself to login items

On the new Monterrey OS everytime I open Google Chrome and it add itself to login items. I erase it every time, but it persists. How can I avoid it?.

Thank you,

Mac Studio

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 5:05 PM

8 replies

Nov 26, 2022 7:22 AM in response to Aburbano

Aburbano wrote:

Thank you. I don't know why I didn't think it before. Clever people with clever ideas!

Sarcasm aside, my suggestion is your only legal option. When you downloaded and first ran Google Chrome, you agreed to Google's terms of service, which include a clause stating that "You may not copy, modify, distribute, sell, or lease any part of our services or software." Please note the use of the conjunction "or". This means that even though you may not be leasing or reselling your copy of Google Chrome, you are also forbidden from modifying it.

If Chrome wants to add itself to your Login Items, that is the way it works. You either have to accept it or use some other web browser, such as the one that you already paid for.

Before you embark upon a technical discussion of what may or may not constitute a "modification", let me just point out that a login item in Monterey is merely the most visible persistence mechanism. Chrome actually runs several tasks in the background. Even if you try to disable them, each time you launch Chrome, it can reinstall and re-enable them if it so desires.

This is a fight that you can't win. If you choose to run software written by someone else, your only option is to run it on their terms. If you think you are pulling a fast one on them, you are mistaken. Each time you launch the software, you give them the keys to your device to use as they see fit. Your only option is to not launch the software.

Nov 26, 2022 3:01 PM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain wrote:

FWIW, Chrome does not add itself to login items. There is at least one Chrome extension which causes the problem.

It doesn't for me either. But I have seen similar reports. Regardless, it is the same problem with the same solution. If this is an extension doing this instead of Chrome, then the solution is to uninstall that extension. I have no idea what extension that might be.

Furthermore, Chrome definitely installs other background software. In Ventura, those items will show up under Login Items. It seems logical that any app that requires those background items will take action to reinstall them in the event of user interference. Maybe Chrome is doing this. That is why I recommend that people having trouble with 3rd party software either contact the developer for support or stop using the software.

Google Chrome add itself to login items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.