Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chrome automatically added to Login Items

Each time I open Chrome, (which is not my main browser), adds itself to login items, which means if I restart my computer, Chrome is one of the apps that open automatically. I then have to remove it until it gets added again if I have to use Chrome again. This is a crap user experience and frankly is below Apple standards.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 12:24 PM

6 replies

Nov 16, 2022 1:25 PM in response to smehr

First, check to see that it's not set to open on login. Right click on the icon in the Dock, then go to "Options" and uncheck "Open at Login" if it's checked, as seen below-

If it persists, ensure that the app is completely quit, and when shutting down or restarting, you uncheck the "Reopen windows when logging back in" box-

At any rate, it's not Apple's fault- Chrome is a Google product.

Prevent apps and windows from reopening on Mac - Apple Support

Nov 16, 2022 1:46 PM in response to -Bubba-

I disagree - if I submit an App to the App Store, there should be some safeguards in place to prevent scripts like this from changing my user preference...repeatedly, each time the app is open. This issue seemed to crop up after updating to Ventura. I wonder if Apple was paid to allow Chrome to automatically add itself to Login Items. It doesn't seem like any of the preferences have the padlock to prevent changing without username/password.

Chrome automatically added to Login Items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.