Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chrome keeps adding itself to login items no matter what I do

Chrome (under Monterey 12.4) continually adds itself to login items. I can remove it via the control panel, or uncheck it from the dock, but after a few restarts it comes back. Before you start, NO, I don't have "reopen windows on restart" on - NEVER, that's so annoying - or any startup extensions for Chrome or anything that might trigger a Chrome launch on startup. I ** DO ** routinely clear caches/cookies, and I'm not going to stop doing that. So. Help. It's maddening.

Mac mini, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 10:20 AM

This is yet another instance of Chrome being the bad citizen of macOS that we know it is.

It places itself in login items against user definitions, and its ugly keystone daemons hog the system toolbox and cause serious trouble. Not surprising considering its aim is basically to milk you for information to feed Google's bottom line.

This may be an eye opener:

https://contrachrome.com

There are several "Chrome-based" browsers that do not seem to have the bully-type behavior of Chrome - that is in case you need something like it: Bravo, Edge, Opera, and more.

I am afraid that as long as people keep falling for it, Chrome will continue this sort of behaviors.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2022 10:20 AM in response to artboygrafix

This is yet another instance of Chrome being the bad citizen of macOS that we know it is.

It places itself in login items against user definitions, and its ugly keystone daemons hog the system toolbox and cause serious trouble. Not surprising considering its aim is basically to milk you for information to feed Google's bottom line.

This may be an eye opener:

https://contrachrome.com

There are several "Chrome-based" browsers that do not seem to have the bully-type behavior of Chrome - that is in case you need something like it: Bravo, Edge, Opera, and more.

I am afraid that as long as people keep falling for it, Chrome will continue this sort of behaviors.

Jul 20, 2022 8:01 AM in response to PRP_53

I don't mean to trash, but if you don't have a solution, the comment isn't necessary. I already mentioned I checked login items and it keeps re-adding itself. Also, "Control Panel" is vintage Mac terminology. It's what they called them before scooping them up and combining them into the System Preferences interface. I'm that long-term of a Mac user.

Jul 20, 2022 8:05 AM in response to artboygrafix

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. 

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

The next best thing for us to having a semi - actual On-Hand experience  with this computer is to follow the steps below

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Jul 20, 2022 8:15 AM in response to PRP_53

Let's address this as a Chrome issue, shall we? Similar posts with this problem abound in Discussions, but without resolution. The "post your Etrecheck" route from me and others has not led to a resolution. Please don't clog up this feed with stuff we've already tried. It's not a new issue, others know of it, and I am hoping someone already familiar with it has some helpful advice. Thanks.

Jul 20, 2022 8:20 AM in response to artboygrafix

You are welcome for the free advise.

Should the user ( you ) choose to run the suggested Application at a later time , we are alway prepared to offer additional fee advise

There has been sufficient advise offered for the User ( you ) to make an informed and educated choice what the next course of action is required.

The suggestions have been put forth on a volunteer basis, in good faith and in the best interests of the computer.

Jul 20, 2022 10:12 AM in response to PRP_53

I appreciate any help, but as noted, everything you've advised has already been tried by myself and others suffering this issue. When you Start your help with "Have never used Google Chrome on macOS but..." for an issue about Chrome on macOS, it might be better for all involved to NOT chime in. Now we have a nice long discussion thread with no advancement whatsoever.

Chrome keeps adding itself to login items no matter what I do

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.