Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does using an older iOS make my iPhone vulnerable to being compromised?

Up until a few weeks ago, I was still using a later version of iOS 14. Does that mean that my iPhone was capable of being remotely compromised? Do governments (especially u.s.) have remote access to our iPhone cameras? I get very paranoid about these things and reading online news about Pegasus and similar products makes me seriously scared. I don’t know if this is the right place to post such a question, but quite frankly I don’t know where else to ask to get a straight answer.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XR

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 7:21 AM

21 replies

Nov 26, 2022 8:27 AM in response to Community User

Hello again ~ This is how to turn on automatic updates…

*Turn on automatic updates

1. Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
  2. Tap Automatic Updates, then turn on Download iOS Updates.
  3. Turn on Install iOS Updates. Your device will automatically update to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS. Some updates might need to be installed manually

This is from the article *Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Unless you are considered a high value target and someone would invest a tremendous amount of money to target you there should not be a problem. Do you fall into that category? I hope to alleviate some of your concerns. Is your iPhone updated now?

~Katana-San~

Nov 26, 2022 9:11 AM in response to Community User

It’s unlikely, but possible. That changes if you are a public figure in politics, law enforcement, journalist, major criminal, live in a country with a repressive government (no, the US doesn’t count, even though some people think so). But if you are an ordinary citizen it is highly unlikely you would be targeted.

Here are some of Apple’s guides if you fall into any of the above categories:

Nov 26, 2022 7:42 AM in response to Community User

Hello ~ You can update your iPhone by clicking on this Apple article and working through the steps there…

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you can’t update take a look here…

If your iPhone or iPad won't update - Apple Support

Keeping your iPhone updated is always a good idea. Is there anything that makes you think that your iPhone is compromised? If so this is a good place to ask your questions. There are many knowledgeable and helpful people here to assist you.

~Katana-San~

Nov 26, 2022 8:00 AM in response to Community User

Hello once more~ Please don’t feel like you are wasting anyone’s time. That is what this forum is all about. We are fellow forum members just like you and volunteer to help each other. There are lots of scary things on the internet and one could easily become concerned. Keep your iPhone updated and read through these links and maybe it will quite your concerns a bit…

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

I hope this has helped you and please don’t hesitate to ask your questions here :)

~Katana-San~

Nov 26, 2022 8:31 AM in response to Community User

I would dispute the statement

"if you’re on a new-ish software (15, 14 and 13), you should be fine."

No!

All iOS versions potentially containing vulnerabilities and they were all patched through the years.

Safest most secure iOS for iphone XR at time of writing is iOS16.1.1

Security patches are in the general updates

Resources:-

Update iphone

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Learn how to update your iPhone via recent Macs here:-->

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with the Finder – Apple Support (UK)

or older Macs and PC here:-->

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with iTunes – Apple Support (UK)

PS all that stuff about governments operating your microphones - all piffle.

We ate talking theoretical possibility of maybe accessing some data, all prevented now.

Nov 26, 2022 7:48 AM in response to Katana-San

Hi there, thank you for answering me. No there is no indication that my iPhone is compromised. I just read too much online about softwares like Pegasus and other mercenary spyware that can remotely compromise iPhones. And I read about the NSA, and foreign agencies hacking into iPhone cameras of people. It really freaks me out that these softwares can remotely activate cameras if they want. And it makes me paranoid that governments (especially the U.S) has secret remote access to our iPhone cameras or something. I know I probably sound paranoid as **** but I am a HUGE privacy freak. And the fact that I was only using iOS 14 up until a few weeks ago scares me, cause it means that my iPhone had more vulnerabilities that could be exploited.

Again I apologize if I am wasting time but I feel that I really need peace of mind with this.

Nov 26, 2022 8:10 AM in response to Katana-San

Ok, thank you for the link! But do you know if the stuff on the news is true? Like do governments and stuff have the ability to remotely activate iPhone cameras?? It just scares me. And I’m also scared that a hacker could have compromised my phone and watched me through the camera. Is this even possible or am I just paranoid and reading too much online??

Nov 26, 2022 8:47 AM in response to Community User

You should always have the highest version of iOS that your phone can support; that is the only version that addresses all known vulnerabilities. If your phone is limited to a specific major version (e.g., iOS 15) then Apple will continue updating it as needed to address vulnerabilities, such as iOS 15.7.1. However, if your phone is capable running iOS 16 and it is currently on iOS 15.7, you can’t update it to the most secure version of iOS 15, only iOS 16. (currently 16.1.1).

Nov 26, 2022 8:59 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Ok, thank you for your reply! I will update to 16.1.1. What are the chances that my phone was compromised remotely though? Even though the replies on here have been very helpful, I can’t help but worrying that since I’ve been running that old iOS (it was like 14.7 or something) until recently, that attackers were able to hack my iPhone and watch me through my camera. And I get really paranoid when I read about the NSA’s prism program or how they (and other foreign agencies) have the ability to remotely hack into iPhones through vulnerabilities and watch a certain person through their camera. I’ve also done my research on mercenary spyware such as Pegasus and predator and reign. I don’t know why but I just get super paranoid about this kind of stuff, it really freaks me out that potentially my every move on my phone is collected and monitored. Again, your reply is much appreciated, I know I probably sound like a crazy person, but I really appreciate the help from everyone on here.

Nov 26, 2022 9:40 AM in response to Community User

Pegasus is neutralised, and unless you are in international spy or government official, nobody is going to spend a million bucks breaking into your iPhone, because that is what it takes to deploy these things.

Watch you through your camera? No! I already said, that is internet fairy tales, put about by snake oil security companies 🦈

Nov 26, 2022 10:06 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Ok, thanks for the reply. To be honest, the reason why I’m so concerned is because of 2 things. For one, I have plans to begin writing my first crime novel soon. And because of this, I have done EXTENSIVE research and searches into some pretty horrible things. I’m talking doing this kind of research for the last 6 months to help me plan out my book. It doesn’t help that I’m a criminology major at my university too, and I take abnormal psychology, which means I also have to do a lot of similar research on bad stuff and things like that. In all my searching, I’ve never actually came across anything that could actually get me in trouble, but I worry that my search history in itself would raise some alarms. I’m worried that my search terms couldve been flagged by algorithms and now I’m on some kind of NSA watchlist or something. And I’m paranoid that they somehow hacked my iPhone remotely and are watching me through my camera. I know, it sounds absolutely ridiculous and irrational, but just the idea of that scares me. I’ve got anxiety/OCD issues in general and I’ve worried about a lot of irrational things and they feel super real to me in the moment. I’ve gotten banned from this forum on a different account for asking theoretical questions hahah, anyways, your reply would be much appreciated

Does using an older iOS make my iPhone vulnerable to being compromised?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.