Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pencil 2

Hi, I have got my “apple pencil 2” a week ago, and I noticed something strange about it. Is it normal that the pencil battery drains out 50%-70% of its power when the pencil is kept away from the iPad?

yesterday my Apple Pencil was 100% charged, and it was kept somewhere on my desk , away from the ipad after 16 hours I needed to work on my iPad and I noticed that my Apple Pencil is only 36%

is that normal? Please help!!

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 9:15 AM

This makes sense but, since the pencil was completely undisturbed and was initially 100% charged, it will drain power even if it’s not active but isn’t it too much to drop from 100% to 36% within 16 hours?

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 26, 2022 9:43 AM in response to Atheer_Khalaf

Even the slightest movement or vibration will wake the Pencil. Providing that the Pencil is completely isolated from movement or disturbance, the battery can be reasonably expected to maintain charge for a week or more.

It is generally recommended that a second generation Apple Pencil is aways docked with the host iPad wherever it is not being actively used - as doing so will allow the iPad to optimally maintain the Pencil battery.

An Apple Pencil set-aside from the host iPad is easily forgotten; the Pencil battery be irreversibly damaged if the battery is allowed to fully discharge, even for a relatively short period. In common with all Li-ion batteries, it must never be allowed to fully discharge.

Nov 26, 2022 9:07 AM in response to Atheer_Khalaf

Yes - it is entirely normal.

An Apple pencil will slowly drain its battery while it is not being charged. Every movement will be detected by the Pencil’s internal motion sensor (the “accelerometer”) - and this will wake the Pencil’s main electronics.

If the Pencil remains completely undisturbed and motionless, its battery will deplete at a much slower rate.

Apple pencil 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.