Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone gets disconnected from wifi network

I recently got iphone14 pro max which is absolutely an amazing phone. However, I’m facing this weird problem. My iPhone gets disconnected from wifi network whenever it is left ideal for more than 5mins. This problem doesn’t happen when I’m actively using the phone for using any applications. However, whenever I lock my phone and keep it aside ideal for sometime without unlocking it, I don’t get any WhatsApp or any other notifications that require internet connectivity. Every time I need to unlock my phone and then disconnect from wifi and connect back.

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 10:17 AM

Hello proma55,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

If we understand your post correctly, your phone disconnects from Wi-Fi when you need to unlock your phone. We'd like to help!

Try out the following steps and test out Wi-Fi on your iPhone after each one: 

1. Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  2. Restart your iPhone
  3. Restart your Wi-Fi network. This would entail restarting your mode, router, and all network equipment. 
  4. Reset your network settings in Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will remove all previously connected Wi-Fi networks, APN and cellular settings, and some VPN configurations.
  5. If this occurs only with one specific Wi-Fi connection but not with others, make sure your network configuration meets Apple's recommendations: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points
  6. Check for wireless interference: Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

If the issue persists, the next best step would be to reach out to Apple Support: Get Support

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. 

Take care. 

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2022 10:17 AM in response to proma55

Hello proma55,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

If we understand your post correctly, your phone disconnects from Wi-Fi when you need to unlock your phone. We'd like to help!

Try out the following steps and test out Wi-Fi on your iPhone after each one: 

1. Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  2. Restart your iPhone
  3. Restart your Wi-Fi network. This would entail restarting your mode, router, and all network equipment. 
  4. Reset your network settings in Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will remove all previously connected Wi-Fi networks, APN and cellular settings, and some VPN configurations.
  5. If this occurs only with one specific Wi-Fi connection but not with others, make sure your network configuration meets Apple's recommendations: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points
  6. Check for wireless interference: Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

If the issue persists, the next best step would be to reach out to Apple Support: Get Support

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. 

Take care. 

Nov 28, 2022 10:24 AM in response to proma55

proma55 wrote:

I recently got iphone14 pro max which is absolutely an amazing phone. However, I’m facing this weird problem. My iPhone gets disconnected from wifi network whenever it is left ideal for more than 5mins. This problem doesn’t happen when I’m actively using the phone for using any applications. However, whenever I lock my phone and keep it aside ideal for sometime without unlocking it, I don’t get any WhatsApp or any other notifications that require internet connectivity. Every time I need to unlock my phone and then disconnect from wifi and connect back.

What you're seeing is normal and expected behavior. If the phone is not actively using WiFi and the screen locks, it drops the WiFi connection to save battery. There is no way to change this. You'll need to make sure that cellular data is enabled in order to keep getting notifications.

iPhone gets disconnected from wifi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.