Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New M1 24" iMac. Problem with SSD storage

512 SSD, transferred most from older iMac with fusion drive. Says only 10 GB left - after removing many applications, and old files. But documents still are 395 GB and when I go to the list of files, there is nowhere near 395 GB listed. How can I find out what is being stored there so I can delete unnecessary stuff?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 9:36 AM

Yeah OmniSweeper works and is free. I bought DaisyDisk in the AppStore for $5 years ago and it's similar and a bit nicer to use. For example, you can hover the mouse of the blocks graphically laid out in a daisy wheel, click and deep dive. Find stuff you didn't even know about. In my case I have old disk images that are quite large. Drag and drop to the collector circle in the lower left and then you can delete them all.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2022 9:36 AM in response to Harry Doerr

Yeah OmniSweeper works and is free. I bought DaisyDisk in the AppStore for $5 years ago and it's similar and a bit nicer to use. For example, you can hover the mouse of the blocks graphically laid out in a daisy wheel, click and deep dive. Find stuff you didn't even know about. In my case I have old disk images that are quite large. Drag and drop to the collector circle in the lower left and then you can delete them all.

Nov 26, 2022 8:01 PM in response to Harry Doerr

Do you have Desktop & Documents configured to sync to iCloud?

Press CMD+Spacebar and type in 'iCloud' and look for the one with the Gear icon and click it. Then click on iCloud Drive then the Options button. Make sure Desktop & Documents Folders is NOT checked.

If that is turned on, it will try to sync your Desktop & Documents to the iCloud Drive. How much storage do you have on iCloud?

New M1 24" iMac. Problem with SSD storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.