Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod Mini Unable to Run Shortcuts

I just set up a new HomePod Mini and am not able to use Siri on the HomePod Mini to run a shortcut that is stored in the Shortcuts app on my iPhone.

If I say, "Hey, Siri [followed by the shortcut name]" on the iPhone, the shortcut runs properly.

However, if I say the same thing to Siri on the HomePod Mini, it responds as follows (with long pauses between each response): "On it." "Working on that." "Still on it." "Hmm, I didn't hear back."

A few things I've verified:

• Both, the iPhone and the HomePod Mini are on the same wireless network.
  • Both are using the same Apple ID. That Apple ID is configured as the "primary user" on the HomePod mini.
  • On the HomePod Mini, "Personal Requests" are set to "on."
  • Both the iPhone and the HomePod Mini are running the latest software.

On what may be a related note, I am not able to intercom the HomePod Mini from my iPhone. If I say on my iPhone, "Hey, Siri. Announce to kitchen, [my message]", then Siri on my iPhone replies with, "I can't intercom Kitchen because it doesn't have any HomePods." However, the HomePod Mini is listed in the Kitchen correctly in my Home app on the iPhone. (See screen capture, below.)

I am able to use the HomePod Mini to play music from a playlist that is stored on my iPhone and it is also able to tell me details of upcoming events that are stored in my calendar on my iPhone.

I'm stumped and would appreciate any help anyone has to offer.

Thanks, in advance.

John

HomePod mini, 16

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 2:14 PM

Hello jgalvin1,

We'd like to share some steps that may help isolate the behavior you're seeing with your HomePod. Based on what you've shared the HomePod is acting as though it is not set up. We recommend re-taking the following steps:

"Place HomePod mini or HomePod on a solid surface with at least 6 inches of space around it.

1. Plug HomePod mini or HomePod into power. Wait for a chime and a pulsing white light to appear on the top of it.
  2. Unlock your iPhone or iPad and hold it next to HomePod mini or HomePod. Tap Set Up when it appears on your device's screen.
  3. When asked, center HomePod mini or HomePod in the viewfinder on your iPhone or iPad to complete pairing. If you can't use your camera, tap Enter Passcode Manually and Siri will respond with a four-digit passcode to enter on your device.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to choose your settings. You can also customize and manage all of the settings for HomePod mini or HomePod in the Home app after setup.
  5. Wait for HomePod mini or HomePod to finish setup, then tap Done."

Set up and use HomePod mini and HomePod - Apple Support

Once you've done this, try using your HomePod as an intercom again: Use HomePod mini or HomePod as an intercom - Apple Support

We recommend isolating this issue first as it has less moving parts than a Shortcut, and may also resolve that issue.

Regards.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2022 2:14 PM in response to jgalvin1

Hello jgalvin1,

We'd like to share some steps that may help isolate the behavior you're seeing with your HomePod. Based on what you've shared the HomePod is acting as though it is not set up. We recommend re-taking the following steps:

"Place HomePod mini or HomePod on a solid surface with at least 6 inches of space around it.

1. Plug HomePod mini or HomePod into power. Wait for a chime and a pulsing white light to appear on the top of it.
  2. Unlock your iPhone or iPad and hold it next to HomePod mini or HomePod. Tap Set Up when it appears on your device's screen.
  3. When asked, center HomePod mini or HomePod in the viewfinder on your iPhone or iPad to complete pairing. If you can't use your camera, tap Enter Passcode Manually and Siri will respond with a four-digit passcode to enter on your device.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to choose your settings. You can also customize and manage all of the settings for HomePod mini or HomePod in the Home app after setup.
  5. Wait for HomePod mini or HomePod to finish setup, then tap Done."

Set up and use HomePod mini and HomePod - Apple Support

Once you've done this, try using your HomePod as an intercom again: Use HomePod mini or HomePod as an intercom - Apple Support

We recommend isolating this issue first as it has less moving parts than a Shortcut, and may also resolve that issue.

Regards.

HomePod Mini Unable to Run Shortcuts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.