Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Os Ventura - Duplicates on Photos

I've updated to macOS Ventura and know that one of the new features is duplicate detection in Photos. I have multiple duplicates in my library, but as yet none have been detected. I've tried all combinations to allow the process to work (leaving my Mac powered on, both with and without Photos open, in standby and a combination of power / no power), but still none seem to have been found. I've also tried rebooting the 'photoanalysisd' process, but this equally hasn't seemed to work. Can anyone help? Particularly interested in what the criteria is for when the process runs (i.e. plugged in, Photos open); however any help welcomed! Thanks all.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 2:02 PM

6 replies

Nov 28, 2022 3:16 PM in response to Neil Forrest

Hi Neil Forrest,

If the duplicate photos do not show in the Duplicates album, then it is possible that the photos are not exact duplicates. They would have to be the exact same for it to recognize them as duplicates even though they may seem like they are when viewing the photos. More info on duplicate photos and the Duplicates album can be found here: Remove duplicate photos in Photos on Mac - Apple Support and the steps below on how to manage them.

1. "In the Photos app  on your Mac, click Duplicates in the sidebar.
  2. Select the duplicates you want to merge.

The Photos window showing Duplicates selected in the sidebar and duplicate photos side by side on the right.

3. Click Merge [number] Duplicates. 

One original source photo or video appears where the duplicates were located."

Best regards.

Nov 29, 2022 10:58 AM in response to Neil Forrest

How long has it been since you upgraded to Ventura and Photos V8.0? Also how big is your library?

It took a couple of days for the Duplicates folder to appear on a 7300 photo library. Photos has to complete its scanning for duplicates, faces, objects (like cars, tables, dogs, etc.) and locations. It can take a while and patience is a virtue - or so that say.

Os Ventura - Duplicates on Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.