Find duplicates with Sonoma on MacBook Air M2

I tried this solution in this community thread. Tried different things a few times and it is still not working.

Is anyone else having a problem getting Sonoma to find duplicate photos in the Photos App on their MacBook Air M2? Will mention that this library I am trying to find duplicates is not my system photo library but I have seen where it does not have to be.

Any other suggestions you might have? Please let me know.

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 9:12 AM

6 replies

Oct 23, 2023 5:45 PM in response to Vilas_S

Thank you, but no. This is not what I am looking to do. I have a Photo Library and within it I have pictures. There are duplicate pictures within the Library. Within the Photo App and all my pictures showing, I click 'View', 'photo', 'duplicates'. It then takes me to a folder on the sidebar which says... "Finding Duplicates... Photos scans your library to find duplicates. Scanning will continue when you're not using the app and your Mac is connected to power." I did everything it says and more and it never finds any duplicate photos when I know there is. It never gets to a merge or remove screen... just says the above. This library is only about 7GB.

Oct 24, 2023 2:15 PM in response to jmarse1

So, after talking to Apple Support, I thought about it more and did my own investigating...

Although, they looked like duplicate pics, it appears that they were quickly taken consecutively, one picture after the other, per the info option on each pic. I looked at the time, size of the image, and any movement I could see by rapidly going thru them.

Solved - there never were any real duplicates.

Oct 23, 2023 10:14 AM in response to Quacks

Hello Quacks,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. You mentioned you wanted to remove or find duplicates that are not part of your photos library. Allow us to share some information with you. According to this resource here: Remove duplicate photos in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

The resource states:

You can easily remove duplicate photos and videos from your library. Depending on the size of your library, duplicates may take some time to appear as Photos analyzes your photos.

It appears that in order to use this feature to remove duplicates, your photos must be in your library. You might want to try importing photos from a different library into your main one by following these steps: Import photos from another library in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

We hope this information helps. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Find duplicates with Sonoma on MacBook Air M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.