Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac power source

We run half solar power here in the Philippines... My Imac shuts down every time the solar battery turns off. iMac is 110V from the US... I use a step down transformer to plug in to 220V. I want to get a UPS (unninterrupted power supply) to keep it from crashing. Do I need to run my transformer in to this UPS? Can I plug my 110V Imac in to a 220V UPS? (without is burning up?) I appreciate anyone's help here. Jim

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 2:38 AM

imacs can be powered by from 110 to 240 it regulate itself you need not add transformers to the mix it could likely cause issues if you do so

Electrical and Operating Requirements

• Line voltage:
  • 100–240V AC
  • Frequency:
  • 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
  • Operating temperature:
  • 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
  • Relative humidity:
  • 5% to 90% noncondensing
  • Operating altitude:
  • tested up to 16,400 feet (5000 meters)

iMac 24-inch - Technical Specifications - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2022 2:38 AM in response to Goodman424

imacs can be powered by from 110 to 240 it regulate itself you need not add transformers to the mix it could likely cause issues if you do so

Electrical and Operating Requirements

• Line voltage:
  • 100–240V AC
  • Frequency:
  • 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
  • Operating temperature:
  • 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
  • Relative humidity:
  • 5% to 90% noncondensing
  • Operating altitude:
  • tested up to 16,400 feet (5000 meters)

iMac 24-inch - Technical Specifications - Apple

Nov 27, 2022 2:40 AM in response to Goodman424

The iMac power supply is universal: auto-senses input voltage and adapts accordingly - steps not necessary.

Separately, the iMac recovers from power outages as soon as power is restored - see Energy Saver Settings. If your programs auto-save files periodically and/or if you’re on iCloud, there’s no need for a UPS (which comes with risks of its own).

If you have other concerns, say a mechanical Fusion Drive inside, the UPS may make sense.

Imac power source

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.