Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail won't forget outdated contacts

Contacts from long ago, no longer in my Contacts folder or my wife's, keep showing up as possible addresses when I begin a new Mail message. How do I get Mail to forget about them?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 10:45 AM

Hi dougbale,

For help with removing email contact suggestions, test the steps below found in the article here: Delete email addresses in Mail on Mac

"Mail keeps a list of your previous recipients and uses it to suggest or complete addresses for you when you send email. You can delete obsolete or incorrect addresses from the list in Mail.

1. In the Mail app  on your Mac, choose Window > Previous Recipients.
  2. Find the address you want to delete. You can search for it or sort the list by clicking a column header.
  3. If you want to check the address in the Contacts app, double-click the card icon in front of the address. If you don’t see a card and want to keep the address in Contacts, just select the address, then click Add to Contacts. 
  4. Click Remove From List."

You can also use the guide here to check if those contacts are synced with other mail accounts: Add contacts from iCloud, Google, and more to Contacts on Mac

Cheers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2022 10:45 AM in response to dougbale

Hi dougbale,

For help with removing email contact suggestions, test the steps below found in the article here: Delete email addresses in Mail on Mac

"Mail keeps a list of your previous recipients and uses it to suggest or complete addresses for you when you send email. You can delete obsolete or incorrect addresses from the list in Mail.

1. In the Mail app  on your Mac, choose Window > Previous Recipients.
  2. Find the address you want to delete. You can search for it or sort the list by clicking a column header.
  3. If you want to check the address in the Contacts app, double-click the card icon in front of the address. If you don’t see a card and want to keep the address in Contacts, just select the address, then click Add to Contacts. 
  4. Click Remove From List."

You can also use the guide here to check if those contacts are synced with other mail accounts: Add contacts from iCloud, Google, and more to Contacts on Mac

Cheers.

Mail won't forget outdated contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.