Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

Can’t login to iCloud on Apple TV 3rd generation

This seems to be the same issue that was listed earlier but the Solution did not work for me. When I enter my Apple ID and iCloud password, it sends me a verification code which I enter. After I enter it, it spins for a bit and tells me that iCloud is unavailable. Any help would be appreciated!

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2024 9:01 AM

So here's the thing. The Apple TV 3rd generation is limited now, but still useful.

I felt I was struggling with this too, but then I remembered that I didn't use iCloud on this device anymore anyway.

How to get connected

• I went the route of just Signing in with my account into iTunes, which I can do just fine with my Apple ID and password and then entering in the Verification code.
  • I then went to Home Sharing setup and signed in, and it asked me if I wanted to go and use the same Apple ID used for iTunes with Home Sharing, I said yes, and it just asked me for the verification code.

In short: don't use iCloud to sign-in, just sign-in with iTunes and Home Sharing and you'll get most of the features you need.

There really isn't any reason to connect your Apple TV with iCloud anymore as there is no more Photo Stream, iMovie Theatre nor any of the other iCloud services that the Apple TV 3rd generation was able use as they have all now been discontinued.

iTunes Purchases (audio and video) & Apple TV+

I now can listen to my Apple iTunes purchased music on the Apple TV again and I can even watch from my Apple TV+ subscription shows. You can't access Apple Music, because that wasn't out when this device came out, but it will stream from any music you have in iTunes Match (iCloud Music Library) and not rely on your device. I was apple to enjoy watching Apple TV+'s Greyhound movie and any other show on with the service on this Apple TV.

Home Sharing

With Home Sharing on, you can go to your Mac and under Sharing (Media Sharing) you can enable the sharing of your computer's Music and Photos. From there you can stream any of your Media you have (Audio, Video and Photos for the Screensaver). Download the iTunes Remote app to your iPhone and then you can control any Media on your Apple TV independent of your Mac. (This is also how you get around the AirPlay limitation [see below].)

To access your computer's media libraries, just go to the Computers app from the Apple TV Home Screen.

Screensaver

Once connected with Home Sharing to your Mac, you can go to the screensaver settings and you should see your Mac listed at the bottom and you can select any of the Photo Albums that you share in you Media Sharing as your screensaver. (I haven't tested this, but it may load in a copy of the selected photo album so that your Mac doesn't always have to be connected.)

AirPlay

As for Mirroring video to get video to your Apple TV, you need to use an older iOS or Mac device that still uses AirPlay 1, AirPlay 2 devices are not supported on the Apple TV due licensing agreements to get AirPlay to work on non-Apple devices like Samsung TVs. But you can get around some of this by using the older device or accessing your Mac's media using Home Sharing.

Summary

So, don't totally fret, the Apple TV 3rd generation is not a complete brick. You just can't use iCloud anymore (but none of those services the Apple TV 3rd gen used are no longer active). But you can still use, via the iTunes sign-in, iTunes Purchase, Apple TV+; and use, via Home Sharing, all the media on your connected Mac devices that use Home Sharing with the same Apple ID.

The Apple TV 3rd Generation is a great Media streamer for my Home Sharing audio when coupled with a stereo receiver with the digital audio output that the newer Apple TVs don't have.

iTunes Remote

https://apps.apple.com/app/itunes-remote/id284417350

69 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2024 9:01 AM in response to curtmeiss

So here's the thing. The Apple TV 3rd generation is limited now, but still useful.

I felt I was struggling with this too, but then I remembered that I didn't use iCloud on this device anymore anyway.

How to get connected

• I went the route of just Signing in with my account into iTunes, which I can do just fine with my Apple ID and password and then entering in the Verification code.
  • I then went to Home Sharing setup and signed in, and it asked me if I wanted to go and use the same Apple ID used for iTunes with Home Sharing, I said yes, and it just asked me for the verification code.

In short: don't use iCloud to sign-in, just sign-in with iTunes and Home Sharing and you'll get most of the features you need.

There really isn't any reason to connect your Apple TV with iCloud anymore as there is no more Photo Stream, iMovie Theatre nor any of the other iCloud services that the Apple TV 3rd generation was able use as they have all now been discontinued.

iTunes Purchases (audio and video) & Apple TV+

I now can listen to my Apple iTunes purchased music on the Apple TV again and I can even watch from my Apple TV+ subscription shows. You can't access Apple Music, because that wasn't out when this device came out, but it will stream from any music you have in iTunes Match (iCloud Music Library) and not rely on your device. I was apple to enjoy watching Apple TV+'s Greyhound movie and any other show on with the service on this Apple TV.

Home Sharing

With Home Sharing on, you can go to your Mac and under Sharing (Media Sharing) you can enable the sharing of your computer's Music and Photos. From there you can stream any of your Media you have (Audio, Video and Photos for the Screensaver). Download the iTunes Remote app to your iPhone and then you can control any Media on your Apple TV independent of your Mac. (This is also how you get around the AirPlay limitation [see below].)

To access your computer's media libraries, just go to the Computers app from the Apple TV Home Screen.

Screensaver

Once connected with Home Sharing to your Mac, you can go to the screensaver settings and you should see your Mac listed at the bottom and you can select any of the Photo Albums that you share in you Media Sharing as your screensaver. (I haven't tested this, but it may load in a copy of the selected photo album so that your Mac doesn't always have to be connected.)

AirPlay

As for Mirroring video to get video to your Apple TV, you need to use an older iOS or Mac device that still uses AirPlay 1, AirPlay 2 devices are not supported on the Apple TV due licensing agreements to get AirPlay to work on non-Apple devices like Samsung TVs. But you can get around some of this by using the older device or accessing your Mac's media using Home Sharing.

Summary

So, don't totally fret, the Apple TV 3rd generation is not a complete brick. You just can't use iCloud anymore (but none of those services the Apple TV 3rd gen used are no longer active). But you can still use, via the iTunes sign-in, iTunes Purchase, Apple TV+; and use, via Home Sharing, all the media on your connected Mac devices that use Home Sharing with the same Apple ID.

The Apple TV 3rd Generation is a great Media streamer for my Home Sharing audio when coupled with a stereo receiver with the digital audio output that the newer Apple TVs don't have.

iTunes Remote

https://apps.apple.com/app/itunes-remote/id284417350

Nov 30, 2022 2:43 PM in response to ASTRO24

Restarting the ATV 3rd gen does not fix this, nor does putting the ATV back to factory settings. When I called Apple for tech support, all they were able to tell me was this is a vintage device and certain features are no longer applicable to it- they weren't able to help with “can’t sign into iCloud on AppleTV 3rd Gen”- only the standard “it’s obsolete” answer. Any help of how to resolve this issue would be great!

Aug 3, 2023 9:04 AM in response to curtmeiss

This is Apple monopoly at work. After spending mega bucks on their phone, TV & storage subscriptions , they now make you spend hours logging into your cloud that disappears off any Apple device that they truck you into upgrading to obsolescence. Stop! Assert your ownership rights . You already paid for your equip & photos. They are yours - mirror them on your phone & when the time comes they levee fees for that - put them where Apple can’t get them- on a thumb drive - stick that into your tv. & let Apple figure out where they can stick it. Feed your family not Apple greed. Do I hear an Amen?

Jul 20, 2023 3:44 AM in response to curtmeiss

I had this issue too. And just found a workaround.

It seems that older generation Apple TV’s time-out too quickly before the verification code can be submitted. The solution is to append the verification code to the end of your password right in the same password field. The. AppleTV never asks for the verification code separately. Do this:

1. After you enter your Username then type your Password but don’t hit Submit.
  2. Manually request a verification code on another device: On your iPhone / iPad go to Settings > Tap your name > Password & Security > Get Verification Code
  3. On your Apple TV, type this code directly into the same password field after your password, no space in between, then submit.

Depending on what screen in AppleTV you started from which it requested your password, you may have to do this twice.

Hope this helps.

Best,

JZKeys

Oct 3, 2023 4:56 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Checked that too, to no avail. Tried this, but nothing worked:

• Hard reset via USB cable and iTunes
  • Ask verification code from other device and type in directly
  • Use original remote as well as remote app on iphone
  • Advanced data protection (I found it!) is off (and has never been on)

'unable to sign in, Photostream is not set up for this Apple ID account, for more information go to apple.com/support/icloud'.

Photostream doesn't exist anymore, but apparantly it is activited by default in the old apple TV software. Couldn't find a way to turn it off (never used it anyway, only use the ATV to stream music from iTunes Match).

Looks like Photostream is blocking the whole iCloud, Apple ?!

Nov 29, 2022 11:09 AM in response to curtmeiss

Hi curtmeiss,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

We understand that iCloud is unavailable when you're trying sign in on Apple TV. It seems iCloud may have had a few system issues recently that have been since resolved. You can view system status on Apple's website. Restart your Apple TV and try to sign in again. If this continues, go to the Apple ID site to ensure that your Apple ID is able to be used for sign in.

System Status

Apple ID

Regards.

Sep 11, 2023 6:19 AM in response to curtmeiss

Same here… and we can get no help from Apple, apparently.

I KNOW it's an old device, but it's still working perfectly (from the hardware perspective) and they won't let us log in to the iCloud servers just because they don't want us to. I can't see my photo stream, my playlists or anything related to my iCloud account on my Apple TV :-/

Sep 26, 2023 4:12 AM in response to curtmeiss

I have a similar problem with an Apple TV 4K 1st gen (A1842) running on iOS 17 (21J354):

• Select Users and Accounts
  • Select my default user
  • Select iCloud
  • Select Sign In
  • Select Sign in Using iPhone or iPad
  • Enter my Apple ID and password on the iPhone

After it shows a "Update user settings on this Apple TV…" dialog on the phone and "Signing In…" on the TV. These screens run forever…

PS: This did not help…

Can’t login to iCloud on Apple TV 3rd generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.