Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

News App Opening by itself in Ventura

The news app seems to be opening by itself in MacOS Ventura 13.0.1. Any suggestions as to how to stop it?

And it is not included in my startup items

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 2:13 PM

kellynotfromeuclid wrote:

When I click on the News app window, I can't access the News Menu. I have to go to the Finder and Hide Others, and then only the News app window remains. Then I have to click on that window, and I can access it's menu in order to quit from the app.

That's in part on losing Focus to the app. (Don't ask me what Focus is as it's got me confused). I get the same think with Safari at times. I have to go to the Dock and clicm on Finder and then on Safari before I can continue with Safari.

What yo might try is boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Don't spend too much time in Safe Mode as the key is the booting into it and what happens during that time - see Note below). Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2022 2:13 PM in response to kellynotfromeuclid

kellynotfromeuclid wrote:

When I click on the News app window, I can't access the News Menu. I have to go to the Finder and Hide Others, and then only the News app window remains. Then I have to click on that window, and I can access it's menu in order to quit from the app.

That's in part on losing Focus to the app. (Don't ask me what Focus is as it's got me confused). I get the same think with Safari at times. I have to go to the Dock and clicm on Finder and then on Safari before I can continue with Safari.

What yo might try is boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Don't spend too much time in Safe Mode as the key is the booting into it and what happens during that time - see Note below). Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Nov 27, 2022 1:27 PM in response to James Brickley

It's not in the Login Items; I checked in the Settings > Login Items, and in the dock, just to make sure. It seems to open itself randomly. It opens in front of the app that I'm using, and when I try to quit out of it, the app that I'm working in quits. When I click on the News app window, I can't access the News Menu. I have to go to the Finder and Hide Others, and then only the News app window remains. Then I have to click on that window, and I can access it's menu in order to quit from the app.

Nov 28, 2022 3:05 AM in response to kellynotfromeuclid

It's still happening. I opened Mail this morning, and after about two minutes, the News app opened by itself. I was scrolling through my email, and lo and behold, there's the News app window, on its 'front page' stories. Weird.

I may have to solve this issue in Recovery mode. I'll keep updating as I find out what's going on.

Nov 27, 2022 12:40 PM in response to kellynotfromeuclid

/Library/StartupItems is technically depreciated and it is not known how much longer it will work.

There is another entry called Login Items which is to be found in Settings -> Login Items. There may be a list of Items to Open at Login. See if News is listed there. If you right-click an App on the Dock under Options there is an Open at Login and when checked it creates an entry in the System Settings Login Items screen.

On macOS versions prior to Ventura, Login Items would be found in System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> select the user and there is a Login Items for each user. The Dock App icon options -> Login Items is the same thing.

Another way is to have a Launchd plist entry in ~/Library/LaunchAgents per user or /Library/LaunchAgents for all users and there's a /Library/LaunchDaemons for long running background services intended for all users. But it's very unlikely that these entries would be used by the Apple News app.

Nov 27, 2022 3:36 PM in response to kellynotfromeuclid

Are you clicking any links? I have witnessed Apple News specific URLs that get opened in the News app. What about the widget sidebar? Do you have notifications turned off?

Keep track of which news provider is popping up. You can try to unfollow that provider in the News App. In the past, I've heard of ads that can popup coming through Apple News. I'm blocking all that stuff via a network level ad-blocker called Pi-Hole.

News App Opening by itself in Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.