Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery draining, from 81% to 0 instantly

Since installing iOS 15.7.1, I have noticed battery draining that is just out of the ordinary. With a battery health rating of 87%, it should no tbe the fault of the battery. Using an app such as Google browser, YouTube or Facebook will see the phone - usually charged to 81% - reboot without warning, and then claim to have only 10% left. There is just no reason for this savage emptying of the battery, which has me leaving the phone on charge just to use it. God help me if I am outdoors and receive a call! Will the battery just empty itself right when I need it?

iPhone 6s, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 12:16 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 29, 2022 1:02 PM in response to rayflute

Hi rayflute,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. If your iPhone battery is draining, here are a few steps to try to see if they help:

1. Restart your iPhone to see if the issue persists: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

2. Check out the link here for more details on iPhone Battery and Performance: iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

3. Try the steps here to see if they help: Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

4. If you need further support, reach out to Apple Support here: Contact - Official Apple Support

Have a great day.

Nov 29, 2022 2:28 PM in response to rayflute

rayflute ~ That 87% max capacity is just an algorithmic estimate of a dynamic chemical process and Apple considers a value around 80% to be unhealthy. However, after four years, a battery is likely to be weak and due for replacement - which is why you're seeing those classic symptoms of battery discharge.

...So, have the battery replaced and all will (probably) be well:

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

About genuine iPhone batteries

Repair Provider Verification

(Articles found by searching Apple's Knowledge Base.)

õ¿õ¬

Nov 29, 2022 1:57 PM in response to lexOS1

Thank you for the reply.

Just done a restart, and the battery went from 94% before the restart, to 64% on restart, to 1% on trying to input my pin. Once logged in and charging, the battery goes from 80% down to 10%. The phone clearly has no idea what the battery is doing!

Maximum capacity is stated as 87%, and Peak Performance Capability is intact.

iOS version is 15.7.1, and if I am very honest, this issue has only been troubling me since upgrading to this very version. I can recall no such issues with version 15.7.0. If it were possible to revert to 15.7.0 I would choose that option, because this phone has become unusable unless constantly being plugged in.

Battery draining, from 81% to 0 instantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.