Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My IPhone storage is full even after deleting photos and apps

I have an iPhone 6S with 64 g of storage. I have deleted most photos and many apps, yet it shows that my storage is full. What to do? I can't update with later ISO as it appears I have no storage.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 3:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 2:17 PM

Hi Gabriel

I deleted close to 30 gigabytes of photos! Therefore, I assumed I would gain 30 g to my storage capacity; I didn’t. It still shows that I’m at max at 62.2 of 64 max capacity. How is that possible when before I deleted the 30G of photos I was at about 63 capacity? Thanks

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2022 2:17 PM in response to R_Gabriel

Hi Gabriel

I deleted close to 30 gigabytes of photos! Therefore, I assumed I would gain 30 g to my storage capacity; I didn’t. It still shows that I’m at max at 62.2 of 64 max capacity. How is that possible when before I deleted the 30G of photos I was at about 63 capacity? Thanks

Nov 29, 2022 2:02 PM in response to FBS176

Hey there, and welcome to Apple Support Communities FBS176,

We can certainly understand your concern and can help provide some insight.

We recommend checking out these steps for more information on how to manage your storage and free up space.

" Learn how photos and videos use your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch storage, ways to save space, and how to upgrade your iCloud storage if you’re running out.

The photos, music, apps, and other content that you use and enjoy on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch take up space in your device’s storage capacity. And your device can fill up quickly depending on the size of its storage capacity and how much content you have. If you see a message that your device's storage is full, you can free up space by managing your photo and video storage.

Check to see how much storage you have

See how much storage you have left on your device and in iCloud, and which apps use the most space.

Device storage

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap General.
  3. Tap [device] Storage.

Check device storage in Settings

You might see recommendations for optimizing your storage, a list of your apps, and the amount of space that each one uses.

iCloud storage

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap [your name].
  3. Tap iCloud.

Check device storage in iCloud

You'll see how much space you have left in iCloud, the apps using your storage, and if you need to upgrade your storage plan.

Store your photos and videos in iCloud

Your photos and videos are stored on your device in their original, high-resolution version. This means that they use a lot of space on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. With iCloud Photos, you can make more space available on your device and have your entire collection, everywhere you go.

Get started with iCloud Photos:

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos.
  2. Turn on iCloud Photos.
  3. Select Optimize iPhone Storage to save space on your device.

Store photos and videos in iCloud Photos

With Optimize Storage, smaller, space-saving photos and videos are kept on your device while all of your original, full-resolution versions are stored in iCloud. And as long as you have enough space in iCloud, you can store as many photos and videos as you want. "

For additional information, check out this link: Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

These steps will help ensure your device is working with ease and can fix common issues like the ones you’re experiencing.

Kindest regards!

Nov 30, 2022 1:44 PM in response to FBS176

FBS176 Said:

“Thank you so much!! The backup, delete, Restore you suggested I do worked in gaining the storage capacity I had lost to ‘other’!!! […]Perhaps you can also help in ‘unable to install (name of app)’. What to do?“

———-

You are welcome. Proud to hear that my User Tip worked.

Update you iPhone:

So, in regards to “unable to install (name of app)”, install the latest update. Go to: Settings > General > Software Update

Nov 29, 2022 8:06 PM in response to FBS176

Did you restart the phone a few times (not just turn it off)?

I had this issue earlier this year: the phone was having issues because it was so full but after restarting about 5 times the disk space in use dropped to what it really ought to have been after all the files that were deleted. It then booted ok.

Nov 30, 2022 7:54 AM in response to FBS176

FBS176 Said:

"Iphone storage full even after deleting photos and apps: […]’other is what is taking up storage and before it were the photos

———-

Clearing “Other":

Clear the storage named System Data (formerly called "Other"). It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time

So, to clear it. Perform as I've instructed here: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tip

Caches would be being used for remembrance of application use.

Nov 29, 2022 9:04 PM in response to FBS176

FBS176 Said:

"Iphone storage full even after deleting photos and apps: I have an iPhone 6S with 64 g of storage. I have deleted most photos and many apps, yet it shows that my storage is full. What to do? I can't update with later ISO as it appears I have no storage."

-------

Troubleshooting iPhone Storage:

Internal storage cannot be upgraded. It is what it is. So, the maximum internal storage capacity never increases, even if you upgraded your iCloud plan. Learn More here: What's the Difference Between Device Storage and iCloud Storage? Apple Support

So, what to do:

Clear Space:

Having little empty space can heat things up. So, here is what to perform...

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

Also...

B. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

Also...

C. Clear "Other":

Clear the storage named System Data (formerly called "Other"). It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time. Perform as I've instructed here: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tip. Caches would be being used for remembrance of application use.

Feb 8, 2023 11:38 AM in response to FBS176

TRYING TO RECLAIM IPHONE STORAGE AFTER DELETING 50GB APPLE MUSIC APP AND

NOT SEEING IPHONE RECLAIM DELETED STORAGE WITHIN IPHONE STORAGE (I tried clearing Safarie cashe, turning off iphone for a while, using utility apps to reclaim storage....to NO avail) – WHAT WORKED FOR ME: I RE-DOWNLOAD THE APPLE MUSIC APP AND MY IPHONE STORAGE WAS ACCURATELY UPDATED LESS THE 50GB PREVIOUSLY DELETED. SMH

My IPhone storage is full even after deleting photos and apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.