Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

30 pin adapter not working on ios 16

For many years I have used a TASCAM iM2 external microphone with my iPhone using a lightning to 30 pin adapter. It was working great with my iPhone 12 Pro up to iOS 15.7.1. Recently I updated to iOS 16.1.1 and the microphone no longer works. It is not recognized by any audio or video recording apps. Has Apple dropped support for the 30 pin adapter in iOS 16, or is this a bug that may be fixed in a later release?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 4:50 PM

12 replies

Feb 7, 2023 1:33 PM in response to gtrgeorge

Same problem here, having huge range of 30 pin accessories (Tascam iXJ2, Tascam iM2, Rode iXY). Very pity since these are quality products. It appears the only solution is revert back to iOS 15.7.1 Found a guide on YT, work around with iTunes. Not sure how safe it is. Has anybody tried? No sure if will look for a new light stereo mic, as it is supposed be replaced by USB-C. Any suggestions folks/ support are welcome. Thanks Martin

Nov 30, 2022 9:43 AM in response to Sean_B1

Hello Sean,

I appreciate your reply. I know that official support for the iM2 was limited to iOS 8, but it continued to work well up to iOS 15.7.1. I'm wondering if support for the 30-pin adapter is completely gone from iOS 16, or if it's something that might be fixed in a later release. If it is necessary to buy another microphone I will do that, I just don't want to buy something new if I don't need to do so.

Thanks,

Chris

Jan 4, 2023 8:24 AM in response to cjohnson585

Chris: just dropping you a note to say I’m glad I found someone else with this problem. I have also used the iM2 with no problems up until iOS 16 on an iPad 9. Fortunately I still have an iPhone 11 and an iPad Air3 that are still on iOS 15, and now I’m planning to keep them that way. I hope you have good luck finding a similar microphone…

Feb 8, 2023 8:09 AM in response to M_PUB

Is this problem limited by 30 pen adapter to lightning devices only or does the dedicated lightning mics for iphone/ipad have the same problem with incompatibility?

Also, i have a Tascam iM2 with 32 pen adapter that still works with ios 16.3 on ipad 7th gen. I’m using it with Twisted Wave and it still gives me stereo recordings! But when i connect the same gear to my ipad 9th gen. and Twisted Wave it is not recognized and i’m left with the mics that are built in!

So is it really an ios problem?

30 pin adapter not working on ios 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.