Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My Play Sound and Mark as Lost

I'm tracking down an iPhone 11, and using the Find My app on an iPhone 7, I found the location. I pressed the "Play Sound" button, and it said that it was playing. However, when I tried using "Mark as Lost", it remained pending, and it still is now. Is there an explanation for this?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 2:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 7:00 PM

Hello delightfulrainbow205,

Playing a sound is just the function. It doesn't actually know if the signal got through. If you see it's offline, the sound will not play, despite it giving an indiction you did press the play a sound button:

"Select your missing device or item, then choose Play Sound. If your device is offline, it won't play a sound until it connects to a network."

Just mark your device as lost if you want to put a number or message on the screen. This works if you had a passcode and want to see if you can get it back if found by another person.

If you want to erase your device, you can no longer mark it lost, and everything will be erased, including your Apple ID, so if it is found, it might be used again. At least all your data will be erased.

Thanks.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2022 7:00 PM in response to delightfulrainbow205

Playing a sound is just the function. It doesn't actually know if the signal got through. If you see it's offline, the sound will not play, despite it giving an indiction you did press the play a sound button:

"Select your missing device or item, then choose Play Sound. If your device is offline, it won't play a sound until it connects to a network."

Just mark your device as lost if you want to put a number or message on the screen. This works if you had a passcode and want to see if you can get it back if found by another person.

If you want to erase your device, you can no longer mark it lost, and everything will be erased, including your Apple ID, so if it is found, it might be used again. At least all your data will be erased.

Thanks.

Nov 29, 2022 5:14 PM in response to delightfulrainbow205

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

These steps may help:

What happens if you activate Mark As Lost for your device
Mark as Lost remotely locks your missing iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac with a passcode, keeping your information secure even if your device goes missing. You can also display a custom message with your phone number on the Lock Screen, and keep track of your device's location. Learn more about how to use Mark as Lost.

What happens if you turn on Lost Mode for your item
When you turn on Lost Mode for a personal item with an attached AirTag or a supported third-party product, you can share a message with your phone number or email address. If someone finds your AirTag, they can see the message by tapping and holding the top of their iPhone or NFC-capable smartphone to the AirTag to open found.apple.com. If someone finds your supported third-party product, they can open the Find My app on their iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, choose the Items tab, tap Identify Found Item, and select the item from the list to see your message. 

More details can be found here: Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item

If the issue persists, can you provide a few more details? Do you know if your device is still turned on and connected to cellular data/Wi-Fi? Also, do you know which iOS version is installed on your iPhone?

Cheers!

Find My Play Sound and Mark as Lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.