Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding songs to playlist

Since a few days ago, I can no longer add songs to my playlist. Selecting “add to play list” or “add to library” doesn’t work

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 12:26 PM

Hello Kaagawi,,

If you're unable to manage your library after restarting, then updating to the latest version of iOS is the next step. These updates often include fixes for unexpected behavior caused by software. Update your iPhone or iPad will walk you through backing up and updating.

"Update your iPhone or iPad wirelessly

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
  2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
  3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
  4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
  5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do."

Regards.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2022 12:26 PM in response to Kaagawi

Hello Kaagawi,,

If you're unable to manage your library after restarting, then updating to the latest version of iOS is the next step. These updates often include fixes for unexpected behavior caused by software. Update your iPhone or iPad will walk you through backing up and updating.

"Update your iPhone or iPad wirelessly

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
  2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
  3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
  4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
  5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do."

Regards.

Nov 30, 2022 10:18 AM in response to Kaagawi

Hey there Kaagawi,

To help refresh the app and software, go ahead and close the Music app then restart. The steps below will help with closing apps:

iPhone SE, iPhone 8 and earlier, and iPod touch
1. Double-click the Home button to show your most recently used apps. 
2. Swipe right or left to find the app that you want to close. 
3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close the app

iPhone X and later
1. From the Home Screen, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and pause in the middle of the screen.
2. Swipe right or left to find the app that you want to close. 
3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close the app.

Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

If the issue persists and you see any errors when attempting to add music, please provide more details about the error in a reply. The more details you provide the better equipped the community will be able to help.

Take care!

Dec 1, 2022 12:18 PM in response to hc1111

Thank you, I’ve refreshed the app and have found the same issue.

Specifically, when I tap “add to playlist” I can select the playlist but the song isn’t actually added. I’ve also tried tapping “add to library” to see if I can then add it my playlist but that didn’t work either. Incidentally, when I’ve tried to remove songs/albums from my library, they aren’t being deleted?!

Now, the Music app seems glitchy- app takes longer than usual to load/open, I can’t call for a song I want to hear via “Hey Siri, play…” instruction, and when I skip a song in a playlist, it buffers/moves to next song much slower than usual.

Please help!! Thank you 😊

Dec 31, 2022 9:07 AM in response to racheals14

I have the same problem. I select Add Music on the Playlist. Then I go and choose the tracks I want. It says N songs added to your {playlist]. When I go back to the playlist there are no songs in it. I go back to the selection and try to add it again and it tells me the song is laready in my playlist, do I want to add it again. I say yes but it still doesn’t appear in my playlist although it now says N+1 songs added to your playlist. This is on the latest iPad Pro running the latest iOS as of today.

Adding songs to playlist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.