Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the greasy residue on new macbook keyboard?

I bought a new MacBook Pro 13" today. Right out of the box it has some sticky residue on the keyboard, especially the Touch ID button. Has anybody else tried this? Should I be worried about the screen leaking liquid crystals or is this normal factory grease? How can I remove whatever it is? If I had used hand lotion just before opening it, I would have expected it to be lotion I had applied, but I haven't. My hands were clean and dry.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 10:32 AM

csjh_ wrote:

I bought a new MacBook Pro 13" today. Right out of the box it has some sticky residue on the keyboard, especially the Touch ID button. Has anybody else tried this? Should I be worried about the screen leaking liquid crystals or is this normal factory grease?

If your screen leaked "liquid crystals" it would be a first.

If it does not wipe off —Take it back. Never heard of "greasy residue on new macbook" out of the box...(?)

How to clean your Apple products

You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.

Only items that have been purchased directly from Apple, either online or at an Apple Retail Store

you have a limited 14 days for an exchange or refund if it does not suit you Returns & Refunds Order status

Returns & Refunds - Shopping Help - Apple

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2022 10:32 AM in response to csjh_

csjh_ wrote:

I bought a new MacBook Pro 13" today. Right out of the box it has some sticky residue on the keyboard, especially the Touch ID button. Has anybody else tried this? Should I be worried about the screen leaking liquid crystals or is this normal factory grease?

If your screen leaked "liquid crystals" it would be a first.

If it does not wipe off —Take it back. Never heard of "greasy residue on new macbook" out of the box...(?)

How to clean your Apple products

You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.

Only items that have been purchased directly from Apple, either online or at an Apple Retail Store

you have a limited 14 days for an exchange or refund if it does not suit you Returns & Refunds Order status

Returns & Refunds - Shopping Help - Apple

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Nov 29, 2022 10:55 AM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas wrote:

This reply is correct. Now is the time to contact Apple, and have them look at this

You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it…

An update, as Apple has a longer return window in the US right now: “Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between November 4, 2022 and December 25, 2022, may be returned through January 8, 2023.”

What is the greasy residue on new macbook keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.