Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook keeps rebooting randomly

My macbook is continually rebooting for no reason and with no warning. Please help. I have run an etrecheck diagnostic and have attached the report.

I ran apple diagnostics first which told me there were no issues.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 6:17 PM

Uninstall Trusteer by following the developer's instructions. Anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer apps, and third party security software is not needed on a Mac. These types of apps usually cause more problems than they solve, plus they impact system performance.

macOS already provides great built-in security especially when the user also practices safe computing habits as outlined in this excellent article by a respected forum contributor:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2022 6:17 PM in response to revred

Uninstall Trusteer by following the developer's instructions. Anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer apps, and third party security software is not needed on a Mac. These types of apps usually cause more problems than they solve, plus they impact system performance.

macOS already provides great built-in security especially when the user also practices safe computing habits as outlined in this excellent article by a respected forum contributor:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841

Dec 1, 2022 9:57 AM in response to revred

Hi revred,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

We understand that your Mac is restarting and no hardware problems were found in Apple Diagnostics. To address this behavior, start by making sure you have all available software update installed for best performances. If you notice this issue only when using a specific app, update the app or remove it. If the issue continue after you reinstall the affected app, it would be best to contact the software developer for more information.

*Use safe mode to try to isolate the cause of the issue.
*Reinstall macOS. If the issue continues after reinstalling macOS, check your hardware.

Check your hardware
Learn how to check your connected devices and other hardware.

Check peripheral devices first
If you don't have any devices attached to your Mac, skip to the next section.
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Disconnect all peripheral devices, such as hard drives or printers. If you have a desktop Mac, make sure that only a display, keyboard, and mouse or trackpad are connected.
3. Turn on your Mac.
4. Use your Mac for the amount of time that it would usually take for an unexpected restart to occur.
5. If an unexpected restart occurs, follow the steps to check the internal RAM and third-party hardware.
6. If an unexpected restart doesn't occur, turn off the Mac and connect one peripheral device at a time until an unexpected restart occurs.

Check RAM and third-party hardware
Certain models of Mac computers have removable memory (RAM). If you recently installed memory or a hard disk (or SSD), make sure that it's compatible and installed correctly. If possible, remove it and test with the original memory or disk.

Find these steps in If your Mac restarted because of a problem.

Regards.

Dec 2, 2022 6:22 AM in response to HWTech

Thank you. Well spotted. I actually wasn't aware Trusteer was on this machine but must have installed it at some point on recommendation from Santander. Then when I searched for it, I realised the icon was glaring at me from the start up bar and I'd assumed it was something else. I have now removed it.

My husband has regularly warned me off anti-virus software so usually don't touch this stuff but obvs when your bank recommends it...and because it seems to be particularly bank security related and not 'anti-virus' as such it probably felt like something I ought to have. The article you posted is very clear and helpful. Plus, when I googled Trusteer to work out what it actually was, a Which? article appeared specifically warning people off it. And yet, people are less likely to read articles like this and more likely to, like me, blindingly trust their bank (which in an ideal world we should be able to). I have contacted Santander via Twitter to request they don't recommend it anymore, probably won't help, but can't hurt to try.

Macbook keeps rebooting randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.