Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview Tools Auto Selection

Why can't Auto Selection under Tools in Preview be unchecked?

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 9:12 AM

There is Select and copy text in a PDF in Preview on Mac - Apple Support

Automatic Selection may be just the default selection for the file type opened in Preview, though I do not know that for certain. It isn't discussed above.

3 replies

Nov 29, 2022 8:05 AM in response to ejbpesca

In Ventura 13.0.1 on my M1 mini, I can open a PDF in Preview and change from Automatic Selection to Text Selection, Rectangular Selection, Redact, but cannot reselect Automatic Selection on the same opened PDF.

If I have opened a .png image in Preview, again, I can change from Automatic Selection to Text Selection, Rectangular Selection, and even reselect Automatic Selection.

I am not confronted with a Preview scenario where I cannot uncheck Automatic Selection.

Nov 29, 2022 8:32 AM in response to VikingOSX

I see now that there are three types of selection available. Automatic and rectangular seem to do the same thing within a .jpeg photo. I was under the impression that automatic selection would select the entire file automatically, perhaps it does not.

Can you define the difference between automatic and rectangular selection under Tools in Preview?

Preview Tools Auto Selection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.