Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"retrieve password for PAGES"

I have forgotten my password for a novel I started writing in PAGES... help to retrieve?

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 11:18 AM

On the long shot that you have been using Time Machine since you started writing your novel, you may be able to restore an older copy of that work from a time frame earlier than when you applied a document password. To do that, and if you are using Time Machine, then use /Applications/Time Machine.

Since the document does not automatically unlock within your Mac account, I suspect that you bypassed the part about asking Keychain access to remember it at the time it was set. Aside from the first paragraph, nothing on earth will unlock that document until you "remember" the password.

State to yourself that you will "clearly remember the password on that specific Pages document" and then stop trying to remember it. Your subconscious will go to work and within a day or two, you may remember it in amazement.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2022 11:18 AM in response to Jkjdkc

On the long shot that you have been using Time Machine since you started writing your novel, you may be able to restore an older copy of that work from a time frame earlier than when you applied a document password. To do that, and if you are using Time Machine, then use /Applications/Time Machine.

Since the document does not automatically unlock within your Mac account, I suspect that you bypassed the part about asking Keychain access to remember it at the time it was set. Aside from the first paragraph, nothing on earth will unlock that document until you "remember" the password.

State to yourself that you will "clearly remember the password on that specific Pages document" and then stop trying to remember it. Your subconscious will go to work and within a day or two, you may remember it in amazement.

Nov 29, 2022 9:03 AM in response to Jkjdkc

Well, Pages does not have a password but it would appear you password protected the document you started writing.

Password-protect a Pages document on Mac - Apple Support

Here’s the really bad news for you from that support page:

Important: There’s no way to recover your password if you forget it. Be sure to choose a password you won’t forget, or write the password down in a safe place.

Sorry

"retrieve password for PAGES"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.