Newsroom Update

Today, Apple announced that from 2020 through 2023, the App Store prevented a total of over $7 billion in potentially fraudulent transactions. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I move my apple gift balance to apple pay

I have an Apple gift card balance - is there any way to move it to Apple Pay? I don't use a lot of in app purchases, so I'd rather use the cash. Is that possible?

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 12:00 PM

No, you cannot do this. For a couple of reasons.

One is that Apple Gift Cards can only be used for purchases of Apple products and services, whereas Apple Pay can be used (almost) anywhere, and for non-Apple products. Allowing a transfer of Apple Gift Card credit to Apple Pay breaks that model.

Secondly, Apple Pay can be used to convert to cash, and there are all kinds of way this can go bad - just look at the number of online scams such as the IRS scam which tries to con people into buying Amazon (amongst others) gift cards to settle a debt. If Apple Gift Cards can be converted to cash, they become an even bigger target.

So, no, Apple Gift Cards can be used for Apple products only.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2022 12:00 PM in response to jeniffer93

No, you cannot do this. For a couple of reasons.

One is that Apple Gift Cards can only be used for purchases of Apple products and services, whereas Apple Pay can be used (almost) anywhere, and for non-Apple products. Allowing a transfer of Apple Gift Card credit to Apple Pay breaks that model.

Secondly, Apple Pay can be used to convert to cash, and there are all kinds of way this can go bad - just look at the number of online scams such as the IRS scam which tries to con people into buying Amazon (amongst others) gift cards to settle a debt. If Apple Gift Cards can be converted to cash, they become an even bigger target.

So, no, Apple Gift Cards can be used for Apple products only.

Can I move my apple gift balance to apple pay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.