Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FileVault disaster, need HELP!

Somehow, my FileVault was on, so I turned it off.

2015 Macbook Pro MacOS Monterey

after a while, it restarted, and was displaying the black screen saying: PRESS A KEY OR WAIT A FEW SECONDS

it then goes back to my sign in page, I enter passcode, and it loops back to black screen and then sign in again.

EVEN AFTER I force turn off, then Tuen on, it’s not going thru normal start, just directly to sign in page.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 3:58 PM

Are you unable to boot Recovery mode as described in that document:

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support links to How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support which describes how to boot Recovery.

You won't encounter the dialog shown in that first document because the Mac never even gets that far. You can't even boot Safe Mode. Recovery Mode is the only way out, if there is any.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2022 3:58 PM in response to McCaffertee

Are you unable to boot Recovery mode as described in that document:

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support links to How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support which describes how to boot Recovery.

You won't encounter the dialog shown in that first document because the Mac never even gets that far. You can't even boot Safe Mode. Recovery Mode is the only way out, if there is any.

FileVault disaster, need HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.