Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did anyone else get slammed for $50 when they bought a Black Friday iPhone?

I picked up a new iPhone 11/26, and I got the $50 gift coupon soon after. I redeemed it right away. Somehow I ended up with a $50 charge on my credit card from apple.com/US. Apple cannot find it in my purchase or subscription history, and I did not order anything else for the phone. The receipt I got was worded as if I sent myself a $50 gift card, but all I did was attempt to activate the gift card redemption, and there is only $50 on the account showing it was redeemed, not $100 that would include me buying myself a gift card in addition.

This is my first purchase in an Apple store, and it is causing me no end of trouble including a credit card dispute charge now. The request for refund online does not allow for such a contingency. This is about a new iPhone 13 mini purchase.

Bummed,

Steve

iPhone 13 Mini

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 11:56 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 8, 2022 7:58 AM in response to Steve_in_San_Diego

I have a call scheduled with Apple for tomorrow morning to sort through all this. After reading your explanation I reviewed my statement again. It still doesn't look right. 

This was my first time using the Apple Card. I bought an iPhone mini ($599). I added the 2 year insurance ($149) and I got the protection cover (was quoted as $19). My tax rate is 7.5%.  My statement is showing a balance of $822.27.  Then it shows I have to pay $2.08 /mo for a $50 gift card. 

It still doesn’t jive for me and I’ve always been good at math.

Dec 1, 2022 8:05 PM in response to Steve_in_San_Diego

imobl,

You beat me to it. I got hold of someone in customer service today who explained the two charges after two prior attempts failed. It turns out that they bill for the phone plus tax less $50, then they bill again separately for $50. The total billed is the cost of the phone with tax. Then the coupon redemption code comes in email. It all works out.... except for the confusion it causes. It needs to be spelled out more clearly to those ordering online what will happen.

Where I went astray was thinking the phone cost $579 + tax given the $50 gift. I saw one charge that looked at a glance like $579+tax, and another for 50.

Thanks for your additional clarification. You are exactly right.

Steve

Nov 30, 2022 3:20 PM in response to Steve_in_San_Diego

My friend had the same thing happen she got the new iPhone 14pro max and the Apple Watch SE that gives you a $50 gift card. She ordered it online and they added a $50 fee on her account.

im thinking, unless you have both in hand and it's not being shipped to you that they add the fee so that you don't cancel your item you got the $50 gift card on and now you have $50 gift card and they are out of the sale of the item and gift card. I could be wrong though.

Dec 1, 2022 1:56 PM in response to Steve_in_San_Diego

Look at what your credit card was charged for the iPhone.

The total between the charges for the iPhone and the $50

gift card should equal what Apple shows as the price for the

iPhone on its website. Apple does this so people don't redeem

the gift card and then try to get full value for the iPhone on a

return.

You may wish to return to the Apple store where you made

your purchase and have senior staff/store manager explain

how this works to your satisfaction.

Did anyone else get slammed for $50 when they bought a Black Friday iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.