Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export ONE (of several) tracks to disk in GarageBand

I have a large collection of LPs that, now that I've retired, I want to digitize into iTunes. Using a USB turntable and GarageBand (10.4.7), I recorded side 1, then split each tune into a track. How do I export a single track to disk?

Note: leonie's answer a few years ago does not work for me; GB saves ALL the tracks, not just the one I selected. This is on MacOS Monterey 12.6.1. Thanks for any help!!!

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 9:48 AM

Hello again,

I noticed that you said you "soloed" the one track and muted the other. The way it works for me is to not solo any tracks. Just mute the ones you don't want exported. Have you tried that?

You have another option. Use the "cycle" function. It's the yellow bar at the top of the track window. When you export, you have to check the box "export cycle region only". I'll add a screen shot.

The only reason I recommended Vinylstudio is because it is a great app for what you are doing and I thought you might be interested.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2022 9:48 AM in response to muhalv

Hello again,

I noticed that you said you "soloed" the one track and muted the other. The way it works for me is to not solo any tracks. Just mute the ones you don't want exported. Have you tried that?

You have another option. Use the "cycle" function. It's the yellow bar at the top of the track window. When you export, you have to check the box "export cycle region only". I'll add a screen shot.

The only reason I recommended Vinylstudio is because it is a great app for what you are doing and I thought you might be interested.

Dec 4, 2022 9:07 AM in response to muhalv

To be more precise, when I solo the first track and mute the second, GB exports *both* to one long disk file, with the second muted. If I solo the second track and mute the first, GB exports both with the first muted. I end up with two disk files, one with 8 minutes of music followed by 9 of silence, another with 8 minutes of silence followed by 8 of music.

It's almost as if I should save two copies of the WAV of the LP side, open the first into one track, keep the first tune and delete the rest, then export that single track to disk; then do the reverse with the second WAV for the second tune. For an LP full of short tunes, I would have to do this seven or eight times.

That seems ... inefficient (other, less polite terms also come to mind.) What am I missing?

Dec 4, 2022 9:11 AM in response to iMacarroni

iMacarroni, thanks for the reply, but advice to involve yet another app also seems inefficient, especially when you tell me that GarageBand should do what I want to do.

Basically, all the advice I've received, both here and from my more-Mac-expert-than-me friends, reduces to "yes, the steps you're following are the right ones and should work, and I don't know why they're not working for you." Many many thanks, but what do I do?

Dec 4, 2022 4:11 PM in response to iMacarroni

iMacarroni,

THANK YOU, that does the trick -- transforms what I'd started to think would be a complicated process into a very simple one. As they say, what you don't know is always more than you can handle, and you've put me in a position to know and handle.

Thank you again, and be certain that I will check out VinylStudio

Export ONE (of several) tracks to disk in GarageBand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.