Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does Time Machine notify _before_ deleting the "oldest" backup

Time Machine launch screen says:

"Time Machine keeps:

• Local snapshots as space permits as

• Hourly backups for the past 24 hours

• Daily backups for the past month

• Weekly backups for all previous months

The oldest backups are deleted when your disk becomes full."

My question is

-- does it notify _before_ deleting the oldest weekly back-up

Situation:

One external disk (1 TB) is entirely dedicated to Time Machine

That disk reports it is currently 90% full

-- there are "101 items" (folders)

-- of these half are dated as one per week

-- the oldest represents the date the disk was started

-- the other half are more frequent and thus will be deleted as detailed above.

I don't want to lose the oldest weekly back-up.

But it is not possible to tell how much space the is being used by the once weekly files and thus not possible estimate how close the disk really is to being full.

Will Time Machine notify me _before_ it deletes the oldest weekly back-up,

so I can archive the disk and start a new one?

Thanks for help.

Bob

Mac Studio

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 12:26 PM

My question is

The answer to those questions is no.

Key aspects of Time Machine:

1. Time Machine guarantees an absolute minimum of one and only one complete, restorable backup. More than that is "nice to have" but not guaranteed.
  2. It is completely normal and to be expected that Time Machine will require an entire backup disk's capacity. It does so to the extent it is possible to keep those older backups. Therefore it does not matter how full the backup disk becomes. It will eventually become full and will remain full as it continues to create new backups.
  3. If you delete an item from the source volume, it becomes a candidate for deletion when Time Machine needs the space required for its absolute minimum of one and only one complete, restorable backup.
  4. Time Machine does not delete older backups until after successfully creating a newer one. For this reason it can only approach becoming 100% full, but any attempt to determine just close it can get to that value or any other would be an exercise in futility.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2022 12:26 PM in response to bob24

My question is

The answer to those questions is no.

Key aspects of Time Machine:

1. Time Machine guarantees an absolute minimum of one and only one complete, restorable backup. More than that is "nice to have" but not guaranteed.
  2. It is completely normal and to be expected that Time Machine will require an entire backup disk's capacity. It does so to the extent it is possible to keep those older backups. Therefore it does not matter how full the backup disk becomes. It will eventually become full and will remain full as it continues to create new backups.
  3. If you delete an item from the source volume, it becomes a candidate for deletion when Time Machine needs the space required for its absolute minimum of one and only one complete, restorable backup.
  4. Time Machine does not delete older backups until after successfully creating a newer one. For this reason it can only approach becoming 100% full, but any attempt to determine just close it can get to that value or any other would be an exercise in futility.

Dec 1, 2022 8:49 AM in response to bob24

I see where this is potentially going.

Then have a few suggestions ;

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

2 - Product Feedback - Apple and make it known to Apple regarding this issue 

Have taken enough of the users time

Good luck with this issue

Dec 3, 2022 8:16 PM in response to bob24

This is the first of two longwinded replies so be sure to read the one that follows next.

bob24 wrote:
-- my (clearly incomplete) understanding is that Apple has made some System files completely inaccessible for modification by the user and applications

That is correct.

After years of slowly moving in that direction, macOS "Catalina" finally adopted the iOS approach of completely separating the operating system from the user space. It now exists on its own dedicated and secure "read only" signed system volume — isolated, cryptographically protected, and totally inaccessible to the user. If, through some (effectively impossible) means, an alteration to that volume is attempted such an attempt will fail. Not only is any nonconforming code rejected, any single solitary nonconforming byte is rejected.

That's more information than you asked for, but is one aspect of macOS that makes Macs the most secure consumer grade computing products on the planet, by far.

- are those files in Time Machine or is the "complete restorable backup" require a fresh install of macOS -- and then it will restore everything under the user / applications control
-- and if that is the primary / reliable goal of Time Machine

A traditional TM "restore" will restore everything in the user space as it always has, but since macOS itself exists on that separate SSV restoring macOS itself can only be accomplished by reinstalling it as a separate step. Recover all your files from a Time Machine backup - Apple Support was amended in recent macOS versions to draw attention to that fact. Fortunately it is only necessary to reinstall macOS when replacing the storage volume (hardware), or to fix some other problem in which that volume is suspected to have become corrupted — also a hardware problem.

is there any clear benefit to having both TimeMachine and Carbon Copy Cloner

I really don't think so. I used CCC in the distant past, but those recent macOS changes have made it unnecessary or no longer advantageous. TM is all that is required, as long as you have multiple redundant backups.

There is nothing wrong with using CCC, but no matter which backup method works best for you, you need more than just one. Any device can fail at any time, including the TM backup disk. Besides, if the disk is physically connected to the Mac, a damaging electrical anomaly can simultaneously affect both of them. Even if it's on a wireless network, a major catastrophe such as a flood or fire can affect a Mac and its backup. That means you need at least two backup disks, with one of them geographically distant from the other at all times.

But since they have to be near each other when backing up, guess what that means: a really robust backup strategy needs at least three backup disks.

"delete an item for the source volume, it becomes a candidate for deletion"
-- the Trash does not show in time Machine
- are items visible in the Trash also in Time Machine but only visible on the last date before deletion
-- or does Time Machine consider even things still visible in the Trash as "candidates for deletion"

The Trash is not viewable in the "Enter TM" interface, but a complete TM "restore" will restore the Trash.

"candidate for deletion"
-- how does Time Machine handle files that are simply moved
I have always assumed that they consume only one spot in Time Machine
that the pointer to the file is simply reset
-- is there a defined order in which the candidates are actually deleted?

Yes. The TM launch screen you quoted in your original post describes what it does in Apple's typically very brief but very accurate style. As backups age, you will only be able to restore the first backup of every hour, day, or week... in that order.

Yes, files are only backed up once and consume only one "spot". Changes to them are recorded as changes occur.

Applications
-- the risk of accidentally deleting an Application is small
and I would never restore a corrupt Application from Time Machine
I would delete and reinstall
-- Is there any benefit in letting Time Machine back-up Applications?

Yes. Bear in mind there is only one copy of an item backed up, so additional incremental backups don't take any more space. Apps themselves change only when they are updated, which isn't very often compared to work products like movies or documents.

When you look at the aggregate size of your Applications folder (for example) you will realize it doesn't occupy that much space compared to the backup drive capacity — which ought to be at least 2 TB for casual users.

Of course you can exclude it if you want though. Doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

Continued in the next reply.

Dec 1, 2022 7:26 AM in response to bob24

In practice on any of my machines ( 3 ) Time Machine Backup Automatically deletes older Snap Shots as Space is required.

The Required Empty Space is calculated by the Time Machine Backup Utility.

If the user what to remove the worry of Older Snap Shot being automatically removed, suggest getting another External Drive with at least 2 1/2 Greater Drive Capacity than the Internal Drive.

The start that new drive as the dedicated drive for TM Backups.

Set aside the existing drive in a fafe place like Safety Deposit Box of Bank for future needs or repurposing at a later time.

Dec 1, 2022 7:59 AM in response to PRP_53

P. Phillips,

Thanks for your reply.

But it does not really address my question.

-- Is the unique data in the first (the initial, the oldest) weekly back up on the drive deleted with or without notification.

I have no desire to delete _anything_ on the disk.

I only want to know if TimeMachine will notify me _before_ it deletes the oldest unique data.

Thanks again.

Bob

Dec 1, 2022 8:31 AM in response to PRP_53

Sorry,

I did not overlook that statement.

It (and the specifications in the Time Machine start screen) are simply incomplete.

It does not address my question whether the "automatically deleted" files (aka folders / backups / snapshots)

-- are restricted to data from the the backups more frequent than once per week

-- or can include the unique data from the initial backup to that disk

That is the clarification I am seeking.

I hope someone can provide that.

Thanks

Bob

P.S. Snapshots are an internal mechanism not mentioned in the start screen and neither the snapshot file nor their content are visible to the user in Finder.

Dec 1, 2022 2:42 PM in response to John Galt

John,

Thank you greatly -- much appreciated.

If I may, a few follow-up questions.

"only one complete, restorable backup"

-- my (clearly incomplete) understanding is that Apple has made some System files completely inaccessible for modification by the user and applications

-- are those files in Time Machine or is the "complete restorable backup" require a fresh install of macOS -- and then it will restore everything under the user / applications control

-- and if that is the primary / reliable goal of Time Machine

is there any clear benefit to having both TimeMachine and Carbon Copy Cloner

(assuming each has its own external volume of comparable size)

"delete an item for the source volume, it becomes a candidate for deletion"

-- the Trash does not show in time Machine

-- are items visible in the Trash also in Time Machine but only visible on the last date before deletion

-- or does Time Machine consider even things still visible in the Trash as "candidates for deletion"

"candidate for deletion"

-- how does Time Machine handle files that are simply moved

I have always assumed that they consume only one spot in Time Machine

that the pointer to the file is simply reset

-- is there a defined order in which the candidates are actually deleted?

Applications

-- the risk of accidentally deleting an Application is small

and I would never restore a corrupt Application from Time Machine

I would delete and reinstall

-- Is there any benefit in letting Time Machine back-up Applications?

And finally some purely operational questions

-- do you recommend a particular ratio of GB being backed up to GB on the Time Machine volume

-- assuming your Time Machine volume is working

given the complexity of the TimeMachine read write move actions

is there a time duration that inclines you to just reinitialize the Time Machine volume and start fresh

Again, thank you.

Bob

Dec 3, 2022 8:16 PM in response to bob24

Reply part 2 of 2:

And finally some purely operational questions
-- do you recommend a particular ratio of GB being backed up to GB on the Time Machine volume
-- assuming your Time Machine volume is working
given the complexity of the TimeMachine read write move actions
is there a time duration that inclines you to just reinitialize the Time Machine volume and start fresh

Calculating that ratio with any degree of accuracy is not feasible, which is why most people default to the standard answer of "at least two or three times the size of the source". Like most "rules of thumb" it exists primarily to get people off the help desk phone so that they can move on to other callers waiting on hold.

The calculation is as follows: a TM backup volume capacity must be large enough to hold one complete backup of its source volume's contents, plus sufficient capacity to back up everything that changed since the last backup, plus a sufficient amount of "overhead" that is not easily calculated, and is a function of the total number of files that have changed in addition to their sizes. TM performs that calculation prior to even starting a backup, then it adds a generous amount of extra to be reasonably sure it can finish.

In very rare cases the above calculation is wrong, TM cannot finish, and it will throw the very unwelcome "Time Machine could not complete the backup" error alleging the backup drive is too small. This of course leads to understandable confusion and anger especially if the user the TM backup drive performs due diligence and concludes the backup drive should only be about half full. It happens. The bottom line is that if TM tells you it needs more space, it needs more space. The aforementioned "rule of thumb" is — usually — adequate, even if it lacks mathematical justification.

Finally: When a drive accumulates a backup history of a year or more, I typically erase them and start a new set on that drive. The reason is twofold: even a modest TM backup will soon contain several hundred million tiny files, and managing them just gets unwieldy. It will start to take forever to "verify" that backup on a network or with Disk Utility. Besides, if I have not needed to restore a backed up file for many months, the likelihood of ever having to restore it approaches nil. And, it further reinforces the fact TM is not an archival system. 99% of my TM "restore" needs have been to restore the most recent backup — the only one it guarantees.

Dec 4, 2022 2:29 PM in response to John Galt

John,

I am blown away and immensely grateful. That is one of the most complete, helpful responses I have ever received to any question or set of questions online or off-line. Thank you.

If I can continue much more briefly -- again with no time pressure on response -- this is now just to learn a bit more, the acute problem-solving phase is past.

If the goal of Time Machine is the a single up-to-date restore, how is one to interpret the metaphor of the interface (which dates back well into Steve Jobs era) with the near infinite series of Finder-like windows and a time scale on the right. The files shown at earlier times do represent the file state at that time -- I know that from using the program and downloading them. Obviously if there were critical changes at multiple points in the interval _between_ a given date time and the next available date and time (be it one hour, day, or week later) then those variations are not available. But what one does see is valid -- correct?

I started using CCC in the days when it could provide an immediately bootable back-up. Those days are gone, but I have stayed with it. I have great respect and appreciation for the programmer (Mike Bombich) -- he is remarkably clear and transparent. I see your point that it is now redundant -- but I will probably leave going until I either need the drive or the next upgrade gets too expensive.

In response to the operational recommendations

-- (What I consider) my archival program is CrashPlan -- which is set to make complete daily backups both to their servers (off-site) and to an external drive (on-site). On the rare occasion I have used it for specific files, it has been fully reliable. It is relatively pricey, but I appreciate the granularity of control it provides. (

So I guess I am at four disks (a) two "full restore backups" -- Time Machine & CCC -- both on-site on separate disks; (b) one "archival" backup on-site (again separate disk); and (c) one "archival" backup in the cloud.

-- My current Time Machine drive is working without problems or delay and still has the first weekly back up from when it was put in service one year ago. And based on your comments, I will retire that disk and start with a fresh one tonight ;-)) I now see the logic of setting a clear "finite" service interval for the TimeMachine media -- even though in years past I used a drive (including HD as well as SSD) for 18 to 30 months without difficulty.

Again, my heartfelt thanks for making the truly critical, but ever more complex, domain of "back-ups" far more understandable.

Best,

Bob

Dec 4, 2022 3:55 PM in response to bob24

Obviously if there were critical changes at multiple points in the interval _between_ a given date time and the next available date and time (be it one hour, day, or week later) then those variations are not available. But what one does see is valid -- correct?

All correct. The idea of course is that you might want to restore a particular file that you erased, say, yesterday afternoon. As months and years pass, you might want to restore a file that you recall having last July, but the exact time or day becomes less important.

Naturally if you created a file on a Tuesday last July and erased it the next day, the logical inference is that you never intended to keep that file for long. But if you kept it for a week or more, it will be restorable. TM achieves its goal of keeping a potentially long history at the expense of some "granularity" so to speak.

I started using CCC in the days when it could provide an immediately bootable back-up. Those days are gone, but I have stayed with it. I have great respect and appreciation for the programmer (Mike Bombich) -- he is remarkably clear and transparent. I see your point that it is now redundant -- but I will probably leave going until I either need the drive or the next upgrade gets too expensive.

CCC is a good product and I give Mike Bombich a lot of credit for sticking with it after all these years. Many others have not. Apple's propensity to constantly refine or completely overhaul macOS has frustrated many a developer into throwing up their hands and concluding it's just not worth the effort — especially for something that they got paid $40 for eight years ago, for which users expect a lifetime of support.

In response to the operational recommendations
-- (What I consider) my archival program is CrashPlan -- which is set to make complete daily backups both to their servers (off-site) and to an external drive (on-site). On the rare occasion I have used it for specific files, it has been fully reliable. It is relatively pricey, but I appreciate the granularity of control it provides. (

The more options you have, the better. Too many people get caught by surprise with no recovery plan whatsoever. I'm just not enamored with a disaster recovery plan in dire circumstances that rely upon potentially tenuous Internet connections. I suppose if the Internet as a whole goes down we'll have more important things on our minds though.

does Time Machine notify _before_ deleting the "oldest" backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.