Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old Apple ID

Why is my Ipad asking me to update my Apple ID password for an old Apple ID I do not use?

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 6:43 AM

It may be trying to update something that was downloaded originally with the old account. If you change the account you use, you lose access to all the things downloaded with the old account. Copies will remain on the device and will work, but if you need to download them again or update them then that has to be done using your current account. That may entail purchasing them again unless you set up Family Sharing with your old account and the items can be shared.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2022 6:43 AM in response to swinters1960

It may be trying to update something that was downloaded originally with the old account. If you change the account you use, you lose access to all the things downloaded with the old account. Copies will remain on the device and will work, but if you need to download them again or update them then that has to be done using your current account. That may entail purchasing them again unless you set up Family Sharing with your old account and the items can be shared.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Dec 2, 2022 7:58 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you, Limnos. I must have an app on this Ipad that was used when I was a school teacher (retired now) and the app was transferred to my account when I bought this IPad after turning in my school-issued IPad. Do you know how long "settings" will try to get me to enter my old password to that School Apple ID? It keeps showing me a notification message that I need to enter my old password to that old Apple ID. Or, is there a way of figuring out what app is causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Old Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.