Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time Machine Backups

Seems to me that even-though "Time Machine" prefs indicate not to backup certain items, they are still part of the backup.

Not an expert but would this be correct?

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 6:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 11:35 AM

Seems to me that even-though "Time Machine" prefs indicate not to backup certain items, they are still part of the backup.

It appears that you are looking at a Finder window which would display all of the drives that are currently connected to your Mac. Is this correct? If yes, this tells you nothing about what Time Machine might be doing.

To see what Time Machine is doing, open a Time Machine backup and go back a week or two in time to take a look at the other drives and see whether or not there is data that has been backed up to the drives. I'm betting that if you do this, you will see that there is no data in the Excluded drives displayed in Time Machine. In fact, I'll be surprised if you can even find the other drives in the Time Machine backup....because they are not being backed up.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2022 11:35 AM in response to moman1

It appears that you are looking at a Finder window which would display all of the drives that are currently connected to your Mac. Is this correct? If yes, this tells you nothing about what Time Machine might be doing.

To see what Time Machine is doing, open a Time Machine backup and go back a week or two in time to take a look at the other drives and see whether or not there is data that has been backed up to the drives. I'm betting that if you do this, you will see that there is no data in the Excluded drives displayed in Time Machine. In fact, I'll be surprised if you can even find the other drives in the Time Machine backup....because they are not being backed up.

Dec 2, 2022 2:27 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes you are correct Bob. All of my previous backups in Time Machine display only the "MacIntosh HD". Basically what I was looking at was the "Now" time choice from within time machine. Because there is no "Now" time backup it was obviously displaying the Finder window ... at least I think.

Thank you for knowledge and post.

time Machine Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.