Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Newbie to X. Overwrite part of clip? I DID search. Can't find answer.

(the clip I'm trying to partially overwrite is not in the "main timeline". It's above it, and the frame I want to insert is above that.)

I'm trying to replace a "bad" (noisy) frame with a (preceding) still frame from the same clip

When I try to overwrite the bad part, the thing will NOT go in.

I've tried pressing D, tried the tilde, the still simply won't overwrite the clip. It'll go under it and over it. But it won't go on top of it.

What am I missing? Is it not possible to modify a clip that is NOT in the main timeline, or....? My workaround was to leave it on top and create a compound clip.

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 1:54 PM

If the clip is a connected clip, to overwrite into it the clip needs to be in a secondary storyline. Select the clip or the group of clips and convert them to a storyline. Select the shelf of the storyline and place the playhead where you want to make the edit. Edit the replacement clip from the browser into the secondary storyline.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2022 1:54 PM in response to nowsthetime

If the clip is a connected clip, to overwrite into it the clip needs to be in a secondary storyline. Select the clip or the group of clips and convert them to a storyline. Select the shelf of the storyline and place the playhead where you want to make the edit. Edit the replacement clip from the browser into the secondary storyline.

Dec 2, 2022 5:04 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

I'm with Ian. If I'm understanding your first screen shot correctly and the marker shows the "bad" frame, why not just move the "good" frame over to the right to cover the noisy frame? Hit the 'a' key to make sure you're in selection (aka "Arrow") mode and grab the good frame and move it over to the right. The stacking order designates that the highest image has priority, so it will display instead of the noisy frame below it.

Dec 2, 2022 5:07 PM in response to nowsthetime

Also, since you're new to FCP, here are two free tutorials that will save you from hours and hours of head scratching and confusion. The second one is a little older so the interface looks a little different but all the concepts are solid.

Steve at Ripple Training, 60 minute FCP tutorial overview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqUP7Zgeuck

Izzy Video tutorials https://youtu.be/_jvyrnQpR1E?list=PLp5SAgbM8S87n1qvv34-PAU2zMHLlXyfb

Newbie to X. Overwrite part of clip? I DID search. Can't find answer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.