Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD External Drive not recognized

I have a Samsung USB2.0 DVD/CD writer for Karaoke that powers through the USB connector. While it worked on my older iMac, my new one will not recognize the external drive. I have it connected using an adapter to the Thunderbolt port. The blue light is blinking, but it will not open the slot for a CD/DVD. I have tried researching the issue without any luck. The finder setting are correct and I have restarted without any success.

iMac 24″, 13.0

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 12:31 PM

It may be possible to use a powered hub but some drives do not work through a hub even with sufficient power. You could investigate some hubs and try one and return if it did not work. Not the best process but know no other

6 replies

Dec 4, 2022 9:31 AM in response to tbirdvet

Well, I spent an hour on the phone with Apple support and we tried everything. The drive is recognized on my wife's MacBook but not on my iMac. It definitely appears to be a power issue. No one seems to have a solution and external CD/CD-G burners seem to have gone by the wayside. I have no idea how to get sufficient power to this external drive and neither does Apple.

DVD External Drive not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.