Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music with iTunes: Initial set-up prior to Apple Music Subscription

In preparing for Apple Music subscription, have done research online and still have questions that are specific to this scenario. And wondering best way to proceed.

• iTunes library includes downloaded (ripped) cds and songs
    • and some select albums/songs were manually synced to iPhone from Mac OS computer
  • iTunes library includes purchased songs and albums (from Apple iTunes)

I want to keep all playlists and downloaded/ripped music and album books, etc, that are in iTunes library. Also, I hope to be able to use the iTunes playlists in my new Apple Music subscription.

Do I delete all music from the iPhone? Again, this includes manually synced as well as purchases.

Thanks for advice (including best practices for uninstalling/installing). And apologies if any of my terminology not correct or concepts misconstrued.

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 9:39 AM

Jeanne,

Before you start your subscription, make a backup of all your local music files. That is the best practice. Please see this thread with Matt: Fate of locally stored music files after … - Apple Community

There is no need to delete or uninstall anything.

Your two options for syncing are via USB, or cloud syncing. Once you have your subscription, you will probably prefer cloud syncing: Use Sync Library to access your music library across your devices - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2022 9:39 AM in response to Jeanne

Jeanne,

Before you start your subscription, make a backup of all your local music files. That is the best practice. Please see this thread with Matt: Fate of locally stored music files after … - Apple Community

There is no need to delete or uninstall anything.

Your two options for syncing are via USB, or cloud syncing. Once you have your subscription, you will probably prefer cloud syncing: Use Sync Library to access your music library across your devices - Apple Support

Apple Music with iTunes: Initial set-up prior to Apple Music Subscription

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.