Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade an older iMac

My iMac is from mid-2011--was updated as far as High Sierra 10.13.6. In order to add a viewing app, I need to upgrade to Ventura. When I try to do that (yes I know I am leaping way far over several upgrades)I am told my iMac is too old. it has 420.71 GB of available storage, and the specs on Ventura say Mac OS 10.12 or later. There are two empty memory cells I could fill if that's the problem. I'm just a user, not a technical person, so I don't even know whether such a thing can be done.

If my cause is hopeless, just tell me so. Thanks,

Bourbon45

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 9:26 AM

I will try to help you. Macs over the years have been improved with advanced components. The result is that older computers may have their operating systems upgraded only so far. Their components will simply not accept the newer operating systems. Apple's web site clearly spells out which model is limited to which operating system. The two vacant slots you refer to are for RAM (random access memory) and this will have no effect on your issue. Finally when you are downloading an OS update or upgrade you need to have sufficient space, called storage, in your computer to be able to accept the file for installation.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2022 9:26 AM in response to Bourbon45

I will try to help you. Macs over the years have been improved with advanced components. The result is that older computers may have their operating systems upgraded only so far. Their components will simply not accept the newer operating systems. Apple's web site clearly spells out which model is limited to which operating system. The two vacant slots you refer to are for RAM (random access memory) and this will have no effect on your issue. Finally when you are downloading an OS update or upgrade you need to have sufficient space, called storage, in your computer to be able to accept the file for installation.

Upgrade an older iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.