Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview PDF not searching for exact phrase

I can't search for exact phrases in Preview app for PDFs. If I put the phrase or sentence in quotation marks, it'll say "No Results Found" on the left hand side.

I'm on MacOS Ventura 13.0.1, and I put it on safe mode and it did not fix. I went on another user on my MacBook and it still didn't work.

Contacted Support and they told me to start using 3rd party PDF apps.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 11:41 AM

I found the fix! Just press the search button in the search bar when your PDF is open, and select exact phrase.

7 replies

Dec 3, 2022 1:58 PM in response to Shieldbuds

I can search for full phrases in Preview but it also shows every occurrence of the words in the phrase:

So if you're not seeing this boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Dec 3, 2022 11:26 AM in response to Shieldbuds

Preview is not designed to perform phrase or sentence matches. If you still want to use Preview, then focus on a unique word in that chosen phrase or sentence for it to match. This is the same issue with the default find in the current Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, or in the free third-party Skim PDF reader.

However, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC has an Advanced Search (⇧⌘F) panel that allows you to enter an unquoted phrase or sentence. When you have chosen Full Words Only, it will select that found passage in the PDF.

Preview PDF not searching for exact phrase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.