Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Storage Space

Why is my system storage taking up so much space, and how can I free up space? I only am using about 5GB of storage with apps and other stuff and my iPad is almost full!

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 9:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 4:44 AM

You should note that 32GB iPad models are space-constrained with very limited in available internal storage. To boost system performance, iPadOS will cache data (this is your system data).

System Data includes various system caches, logs and system resources. The only element that you can directly influence is perhaps your browser caches - which you can manually clear if you wish to do so.

For Safari:

Settings > Safari > Clear History & Website Data

For other browsers, you’ll need to find the relevant section of the App settings - which may be within the App itself.

Otherwise, transient system caches can be significantly reduced by performing a forced-restart of your iPad - although caches, by their nature, will again accumulate and be automatically managed by the operating system.

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

Cached system data can also be cleared with a restore. More information about clearing system/other data is outlined here:

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2022 4:44 AM in response to Drspeedlmao

You should note that 32GB iPad models are space-constrained with very limited in available internal storage. To boost system performance, iPadOS will cache data (this is your system data).

System Data includes various system caches, logs and system resources. The only element that you can directly influence is perhaps your browser caches - which you can manually clear if you wish to do so.

For Safari:

Settings > Safari > Clear History & Website Data

For other browsers, you’ll need to find the relevant section of the App settings - which may be within the App itself.

Otherwise, transient system caches can be significantly reduced by performing a forced-restart of your iPad - although caches, by their nature, will again accumulate and be automatically managed by the operating system.

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

Cached system data can also be cleared with a restore. More information about clearing system/other data is outlined here:

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Dec 3, 2022 9:24 PM in response to Drspeedlmao

Drspeedlmao Said:

"System Storage Space: Why is my system storage taking up so much space, and how can I free up space? I only am using about 5GB of storage with apps and other stuff and my iPad is almost full!"

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Clearing "System Data" from an iPad:

Backup your iPad, and then restore it to the backup.

In relevance:

See my iPhone User Tip How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tips

System Storage Space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.